Hand held steam cleaners-are they any good?

Well are they?;)

I'm looking to get one of these, mainly for cleaning my manky oven and microwave;).
Are they as good as they say on the tin or am I better putting the money towards getting a "pro" oven cleaner in to do the dirty deed?

Comments

• Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    I want a steam cleaner but for carpets and I read that Karcher do the best ones. Have a look at their site and also at the online catalogue of Argos. You might find something on the Which site about which is the best. I was looking for info about batteries last week and was surprised to find that Which actually gave results of their tests which they never used to do. They might do the same for hand held steam cleaners.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I find my hand head really useful for those sorts of jobs - I think it was about £14.99, seen similar in Home Bargains for the same sort of price. It's also really good for defrosting the freezer - use the steam as a 'lance' to remove chunks of ice which can then be put in a bucket and left outside to thaw, rather than just oozing all over the floor while the food melts.......
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • amandada
    amandada Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Raksha, that's a brilliant tip about the freezer-my dad's asked me to do his!
  • We had a hand held steam cleaner. It was fairly useles for cleaning microwaves and ovens. It'd do the hob if you spent long enough, but as already suggested it's best use was defrosting the freezer.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Microwave oven cavaties can be cleaned by putting a bowl filled with about a pint of water in and cooking on high for a couple of minutes. The water steams and softens the gunk which is easily removed with a damp cloth.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Errata wrote: »
    Microwave oven cavaties can be cleaned by putting a bowl filled with about a pint of water in and cooking on high for a couple of minutes. The water steams and softens the gunk which is easily removed with a damp cloth.

I read somewhere that putting a lemon in the water helped too.
    My husband is great at cleaning the oven and microwave so I let him get on with them. I had a lot of surgery - big stuff, heart etc, and since then he does a lot of cleaning and really seems to like it.
  • sparky40
    sparky40 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use good ol fashioned vinegar for cleaning the microwave, a few capfuls in a bowl of warm water on high power for a few minutes breaks down the caked on food.
    :j Norn Iron Club Member No. 343 :j
  • Ditto on the freezer defrosting, works a treat.

Also good on grimy greasy surfaces.

Cleaning the bed etc. Ironing curtains.

And finally for all those nooks and places you'll never get to, you'll be amazed at the dirt that comes out.

Hmmmm, all this good advice above I should really use mine more!! Only a cheap one.
  • shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    was thinking of getting one of these myself for similar reasons .... anyone got brands they would particularly recommend?
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • swanny1
    swanny1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    amandada wrote: »
    Well are they?;)

I'm looking to get one of these, mainly for cleaning my manky oven and microwave;).
    Are they as good as they say on the tin or am I better putting the money towards getting a "pro" oven cleaner in to do the dirty deed?

Like others on here tried my hand held steamer on most cleaning tasks and have to say with very poor results, only plus was for defrosting and that's the only job we use it for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure