convert garage

Comments

• Weymouth_Man
    Weymouth_Man Posts: 733 Forumite
    We had our garage conversion done 18 Month's ago, with full building regulations, It's only single brick, but has a plastic membrane with a wooden frame with insulation with a plaster board inside surface.

The only item I regret installing is our ceiling down lights, great BUT heat loss in cold weather ( Due to the Holes, 6 in number) :o

Perhaps the regulation differ in other parts of the country :beer:
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    looks like im stuck with a garage then at £8000 you can kiss my as,lol
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • Weymouth_Man
    Weymouth_Man Posts: 733 Forumite
    robwend wrote:
    looks like im stuck with a garage then at £8000 you can kiss my as,lol

At least it should add value to your house providing you have off the road parking ! :j
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • robwend
    yes it has a driveway as well. but 8000 smackers!!!sheesh!! id have to stop dying my hair! lol,no its way more than i can afford, does anyone else ever feel like me?,,,you try and better yourself but moneyor lack of it aways holding you back:sad:
  • We got ours done for £5k three years ago.

Our house was new 8 years ago and the builders had half done it anyway.

The best £5k I have spent in a long time. It has added more than that to the value of the house and is the most used room in the house.
  • Have you asked any builders for a quote just to check it out. The price can vary quite a lot depending on what you want in terms of size of windows, electrics, built in cupboards, lighting, flooring, blah blah blah.
  • robwend
    no not yet to be honest im a little scared too, im frightened of comming across as a easy target and as i havnt a clue whats involved, i dont know if i really need somthing done wich there telling me or if they are just hikeing up the price
  • Ours was relatively simple although you do need all the relevant planning permission, etc.

Electric lighting was already there so all we needed were all the electrical plug sockets we wanted for the computer, etc. the walls were insulated and plasterboarded and skimmed. A window was put in and the front bricked up to the window sill to match the rest of the house. It took them less than a week. £8k is taking the mick!
  • Another thing, you tell the builder what you want not the other way around. The secret is to have it all worked out beforehand and then do not change anything. Changing things is where the builder increases his price disporportionately to the changes requested and the costs then begin to spiral.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Van1971 wrote:
    Hubby's not a builder either, we are not worrying too much about BR as the garage is at the bottom of the garden

Is this a completely separate garage i.e. not integral to the house? If so, you are likely to have problems with the local planning officer - they will be concerned about the prospect of this building becoming a separate dwelling, if you make it "habitable".

I'd contact the planning officer before you do anything
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure