Ryanair's new 7-day check-in rules

Is Ryanair forcing me into reserving and paying extra for our seats?

If I understand them correctly, under Ryanair's new rules, effective 8 April 2014, if you do not purchase a seat, and therefore have one allocated for you by Ryanair, you have to check in online and print your boarding passes from 7 days to 2 hours before the flight.

We want to book flights for a 2-week holiday, so for the return flight, how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)

Are they making me pay for seats on the return flight so I can print the boarding passes before we go on holiday or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Internet caf!? Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you? Or if you don't want to print them out there, pay for the seats or pay for boarding cards at the airport (more expensive).
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 March 2014 at 5:36PM
    Or ask the hotel is they have a printer available to you?
    Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,439
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NFH wrote: »
    Who said anything about a hotel? What about people who stay in a private villa for example? It's high time that Ryanair issued optional mobile boarding passes like other airlines, and they will start doing so from 1st April. However, in Ryanair's terms and conditions, I see that they will charge to issue a mobile boarding pass! It doesn't say what the fee is, but this is absurd. If passengers save paper and consequently the environment, they should not be penalised for doing so. Ryanair should be ashamed of itself for implementing such an unreasonable and non-environmentally friendly policy. Wasting paper and expecting people to have printers is just silly.

When did Ryanair have morals?
  • SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 964
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    pdaddy wrote: »
    how do we print the boarding passes during the second week from our foreign holiday destination? (We do not intend taking a printer on holiday!)

Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
  • NFH
    Forumite
    Why do you think printers are not available in other countries?
    What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    What makes you think that they are? If one is staying in a private villa etc, what printers would be available?

Internet cafe has already been suggested
  • NFH
    Forumite
    jm2926 wrote: »
    Internet cafe has already been suggested
    You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.
  • jm2926
    You might be hard-pushed to find an internet cafe in a remote location. I think you're assuming that everyone takes their holiday in built-up resorts with plenty of facilities. Ryanair's requirement is unreasonable.

The only assumption is that you are going to come up with a set of circumstances to make it impossible. Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair? Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer? Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
  • NFH
    Forumite
    Can you provide an example remote location via Ryanair?
    Ryanair is well known for flying to remote airports rather than cities' main airports.
    Perhaps a local hotel will allow non residents to print for a free, or you could book with another airline whose conditions you prefer?
    The problem is that passengers will often only find out about this unreasonable requirement after making the booking.
    Return and print in the airport (or nearby hotel) more than 2 hours before the flight?
    Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?
  • jm2926
    Why should passengers be unreasonably put to this inconvenience? Why doesn't Ryanair operate its boarding passes like other airlines?

Let's face it Ryanair couldn't care less about passenger convenience, which I why I will never use them again

Does anyone know how much Ryanair's absurd charge will be for a mobile boarding pass?

No, but it's £/€5 per person per flight to select a seat which extends check in to 30 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure