Halifax Student Account Overdraft - Let's set the record straight

2»

Comments

• regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    the lady would have rung the underwriters and it would have been their decision based on the conduct & history of your account and the money/credits received into your account
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    I have a current account with Halifax (have had for 8 yrs), but was recently refused a student account??

Jackie x
  • pollythena
    pollythena Posts: 39 Forumite
    Just logged in to Online Banking... and i've been given the £2000 overdraft :D

I'm still going to write a letter complaining at the lack of transparency of their offer of £2700, and the fact that I had to effectively beg them for them to make the overdraft available so I could pay my rent!

It's misled many students to apply for the account because it "offered" such a large overdraft - a necessity for students who, like me, spend their entire student loan on paying accommodation fees, and need the overdraft to live off!

You could get a job. :rolleyes: My loan went on my tuition fees, then what was left went on rent, then I worked all through uni to afford to live. Yes, I had an overdraft, but it was never more than £500 - remember that you have to pay it back one day, and they don't have to give you one at all.

The adverts do say 'up to', and as with all credit, they will assess the likelihood of getting it back before they decide how much they are prepared to lend you.
  • PandaPants wrote: »
    How odd. Halifax are really odd!

I too applied for a student account and was refused! I have a 2 part-time jobs and earn around £9-10 k a year....

totally agree – I have no income other than my student loan. I have a terrible credit history, and no one one has granted me any form of credit for the last 6 years , except Halifax, who gave me 1000 pound overdraft and 800 pound credit card !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure