HSBC Cancelled Cheque Charge Advice please.

Hi,

My friend posted his passport application form recorded delivery last week containing his just out of date passport. 2 days later the passport office rang him that they had received his application form but no previous passport, no photos and no cheque. They advised him to cancel the cheque which he did immediately by phone but HSBC have charged him £10. Hes been into the bank and explained the cheque went missing in the post that hes not just changed his mind on an item but they won't budge. I'm under the impression some banks don't charge in these circumstances. Can anybody offer any advice please as to the best line of approach with HSBC.

The post office despite it being recorded delivery are refusing to pay the bank charge or for the phone calls with the passport office saying its not their fault.

Many thanks.

Comments

• theres no way to prove or disprove that the cheque has gone missing, unfortunately its your word against theirs, im surprised that the staff member didnt just log it down as lost which should be free to cancel, obviously the staff member was an idiot and hsbc wont go back on it, but just log a complaint with another adviser/staff member you never know one adviser maybe able to help you out.

surely if the passport was lost in the post is there not insurance on lost items through recorded delivery? i would double check that and if possible say that the passport is 100 pounds to replace so hopefully the insurance on post will cover that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure