PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

moss on driveway..how do i kill it???

last year i tried comercial moss killer on driveway but it didnt really do the job now its back in force and along with green algae its making my brick driveway look a mess.
any tips on how to get rid of it?

i was thinking bleach but im not sure?

ta
mmmm free stufffffffff :p

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have same problem. Ensure area is well drained and not receiving splashes from drains or overflow pipes. Apply boiling water regularly? Any other ideas I'd like to hear too.
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    I was about to suggest that. I think it would work. Worth a try anyway.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Moss can be removed from brick paths by painting it with methylated spirit!!!! May help on your driveway?!!!
  • There's an old thread on this in the index - it recommends hot vinegar, or jeyes fluid. It's in the gardening tips bit.

I've not tried it yet as i'm waiting until a nice day where it won't rain and wash it off.

hope that helps,
    Michelle
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    There are some tips in the link that might help you too:-

Cleaning patios
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Lydia_2
    Lydia_2 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post
    There's an old thread on this in the index - it recommends hot vinegar, or jeyes fluid. It's in the gardening tips bit.

I've not tried it yet as i'm waiting until a nice day where it won't rain and wash it off.

hope that helps,
    Michelle

Michelle, I've looked in the mega index and I cant find a gardening section. Can you tell me where it is? I have always used jayes fluid and it works well but I'd be interested in trying the hot vinegar to see how it compares.
  • Lydia,

I think i have a bit of a memory problem.

The bit i was thinking of was the mega indexed thread - grow your own and gardening section (I can't do links, but it's post 10)

I've just reread it, and there was someone asking if the hot vinegar would work, and it wasn't answered. Also, someone else recommended a kettle of hot boiling water.

I must have got the jeyes fluid tip from another thread as i can't find it now.
    It's probably worth trying the hot vinegar at least, as it will be much cheaper than Jeyes fluid - i bought some last weekend at £10 for 1 litre and then saw it in a warehouse flyer for £9.99 plus VAT for 5 litres.

You'll have to let us know if the vinegar works.

Michelle
  • Lydia_2
    Lydia_2 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks Michelle, I've checked the mega index and still can't find a grow your own bit. It must be me. I just cant get the hang of the index :o I'll give the vinegar a try and let you know if it works.
  • Go to indexed collection, mega indexed thread, scroll down the list to post 10 (it tells you the number of the post in the top right hand corner)

The post starts about food.... chickens. It then has a food for free section, and then about half way down, the next section is grow your own and gardening - within this section are subsections about growing herbs, compost heaps, etc, and the last section is about weed killers.

Sorry i can't do a link to it, but i hope this step by step will take you to it.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's listed inside the "Food" section:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=675328#post675328

Then look under a heading;-

Grow your own and gardening:
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport