can you get dla for depression and ocd?

because i live on such a small amount of money a week. £26 income support which includes a disability premium for depression and ocd i have been advised to put in a claim for dla. i just wondered if anyone knows if it would be worth my while doing this?
any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks

beverley
reach for the moon because even if you miss you will still be a star!

Comments

• lecko
    lecko Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi brummygirl,

You should put your claim in for DLA, I have severe depression and have suffered for 6 years, I am also diagnosed with another mental health issue and have been awarded DLA. So please put your claim in.

Goodluck

Bettyboo
  • Hi,

Have a look at the DWP website, it might help you decide;

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/disability_liv_allowance.asp
  • gemnco
    gemnco Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi beverley, I receive DLA and incapacity benefit for severe depression and anxiety, I've been getting them for the last 3 years. Its definately worth enquiring about getting DLA, the form is quite personal and complicated, so it might be worth getting help filling it out. The citizens advice bureau helped me alot. Good luck with everything and best wishes,

gemnco
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,129 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Yes, you should put in a claim
    Get help from Citizens Advice/Welfare Rights as there is a lot of info needed on forms and it helps if presented in a certain way.
    It might help you to keep a wee diary for a wee while
    Good luck
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • zincoxide
    zincoxide Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Let's see, I've been diagnosed as having depression and anxiety for the last 3 years although I've maintained a full time job - I'm on medication and it looks like this should continue for a long time. Do you think I would be eligible?
    Treat others as you would like to be treated :A
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,129 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    It is how the condition affects you & not what the condition that you have.
    People with depression and anxiety can claim.
    Have a word with your CPN to see what they think
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Can I ask how you get the disability premium on Income Support if you dont receive DLA?

DLA is given not because of an illness or disabilty, but how this effects your every day life.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • mrsh_2
    mrsh_2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Disability premium is also paid if you have claimed incapacity benefit for over 1year.
  • hunnybugs1
    hunnybugs1 Posts: 198 Forumite
    I have just been told I have Fibromyalgia and have suffered from depression on and off for years. I do not qualify for Incapacity Benefit as I stopped work 2 years ago to have my baby and havent paid any tax since then. would I qualify for DLA do you think and is it worth all the hassle? I mean, do you get paid much?
  • upferret
    upferret Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My boyfriend has quite bad OCD, been on medication for 2 and a half years, also been on a psychologist waiting list for cognitive behaviour therapy for the same amount of time, seeing a psychiatrist and he has applied twice for DLA and refused both times even though he cant do most household tasks, or even make his own food! He has been off work for nearly a year now because it has got worse.
    November £10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure