PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, Yes I second that, you can indeed cook chicken, freeze it then defrost it and eat it cold.

During the summer months thats our Sunday dinner with salad.

I've done it time and time again, no problems at all.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello everyone, and Happy New Year.

I'm puzzled by this.... So will throw it out there, and will contact the shop if no one knows the answer!

I Treated us to a ready cooked Wilthshire ham joint from M+S for Christmas. Oh boy it was delicious. We had some yesterday in a turkey and ham gratin. Delish. The box said best before 14th January. There is a shed load still left, but the packet says NOT SUITABLE FOR HOME FREEZING...Aaaagh!

Now I just wondered why? Presumably the ham was cooked in a factory somewhere and packaged up for ME! Even if it was frozen before being cooked, surely I could freeze what's left now. But I think it's cooked from fresh. It flippin cost enough!

Any ideas? I sometimes think Marks are very cagey about recommending freezing in case the defrosted version is not as good as the fresh bought.

Thanks!
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    I had some left over pastry yesterday so blind baked some mini tart cases. Today I've made a filling of melted chocolate, melted butter, sugar, flour and eggs but there's loads left. Can I freeze the unbaked filling?

Thank you
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kathy535 wrote: »
    I had some left over pastry yesterday so blind baked some mini tart cases. Today I've made a filling of melted chocolate, melted butter, sugar, flour and eggs but there's loads left. Can I freeze the unbaked filling?

Thank you
    Yes can be frozen..
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yep, don't see any reason not to.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Brilliant, thank you. There's loads left and I really don't want to throw it away (or have to make more pastry)
  • Yes, I would :) Sounds yummy too!
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ive merged this with freezing quick qs for you

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    I've just bought a big pork pie and stupidly didn't look at the use by which is Saturday. I was hoping to use it next week in hubby packed lunch.

Would it be ok to cut it up and freeze?
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I freeze the mini ones all the time. I'm sure your slices will be fine if you wrap them well in cling film to stop the pork drying out.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport