£1 HDMI cables at Poundland

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2012 at 9:40PM
    Are these the cables I have seen on sale with gold plated connectors?

Is the 3 HSPA+/3G mobile broadband signal analogue or digital?
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    This is hardly breaking money saving news!

They have been selling these for years.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • They have them in stock in Poundland Cheltenham
  • torphi
    torphi Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    There seems to be a number of misconceptions regarding HDMI.

If the cable has the official logo then it should have been tested during design to ensure it meets the required specification. But the equipment is very expensive that allows you to observe the eye diagram (try searching for: HDMI eye diagram) so many of the low cost cables may not have been tested properly during design and the performance could vary between the original design and the manufactured product.

Although the signal is digital, you get bit errors which depend on the quality of the source, cable and receiver. The lines in the cable must have good differential impedance over a very wide frequency range (at least 10GHz) to avoid reflections that cause closure of the eye diagram and therefore the potential for bit errors but also depending on the source and receiver's performance.

It is incorrect that because it is digital it either works or not as you can find that a cable will work in some systems but not in others - you may get lucky.

There is no guarantee that more expensive cables will be any better but a good brand is more likely to have invested in testing their OEM cable to avoid damaging their brand name.

Hope this helps!
  • I have been using these cables for some time with no problems, and a superb picture from Blu-ray on a 37" Panasonic. Needed an extra one last week, and got it in Poundland Eastbourne. They do run out, but restock.
  • I just got two from the poundland in St Ive's, I am surprised by the many negative comments about the leads. granted they are only 1m but they work perfectly.

For those who are complaining about manufacturing standards and complaince the point of the cables is they either work or they don't. If they don't work keep your receipt a get a refund or exchage. I would also note that at 12.99 cost of HDMI leads at Dixons you could buy 13 poundland cables which should easily last the lifetime of any electical appliance and you will probably only ever use one :)
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would also note that at 12.99 cost of HDMI leads at Dixons you could buy 13 poundland cables which should easily last the lifetime of any electical appliance and you will probably only ever use one :)

Would you rather buy 13 Ladas, or one Rolls-Royce, when you can only drive one? I'd have the Rolls-Royce.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Surely
    It is incorrect that because it is digital it either works or not as
    is equivalent to
    you can find that a cable will work in some systems but not in others
    For short HDMI Leads, the cheap cables are rubbish thing has the same plausibility as cheap speaker cables are rubbish. I.e. none at all.

I have a three metre HDMI cable from the local computer shop which cost a fiver. This means that I can use by TV as a 40 inch monitor for the laptop without any problems.

Dave
  • emc
    emc Posts: 256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    googler wrote: »
    Would you rather buy 13 Ladas, or one Rolls-Royce, when you can only drive one? I'd have the Rolls-Royce.
    What a totally spurious argument, as a car is not a simple matter of connecting a signal between two devices. You may prefer a Rolls, but you ask the question, and the answer is that actually a Lada supermini or hatchback may be much more practical for most people.

You miss the point completely that a number of people have made, with quoted articles, that for short leads where the cable is not being plugged in and out a lot, the price makes NO DIFFERENCE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure