Modern vertical radiator ideas for kitchen

We are looking for a new, modern looking slimline vertical radiator for our kitchen ideally stainless steel or chrome. Our plumber input the kitchen dimensions (4.7m x 4.2m) into a hand held calculator which showed we need a mininum of 1900 watt output. Based on the size of the room and the fact that we have 3 large Velux windows in a vaulted ceiling (which we may lose heat from) he recommended a convecting radiator, but from those that I have seen online they look quite bulky and white.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of nice looking modern radiators with the output we need?

Thank you.

Comments

• jpsid wrote: »
    We are looking for a new, modern looking slimline vertical radiator for our kitchen ideally stainless steel or chrome. Our plumber input the kitchen dimensions (4.7m x 4.2m) into a hand held calculator which showed we need a mininum of 1900 watt output. Based on the size of the room and the fact that we have 3 large Velux windows in a vaulted ceiling (which we may lose heat from) he recommended a convecting radiator, but from those that I have seen online they look quite bulky and white.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of nice looking modern radiators with the output we need?

Thank you.

I am just about to buy a vertical radiator for our kitchen actually!

We had an extension done and there is no radiator at all in the kitchen, we need around 6000 BTU's for effective heating!
    I am going to buy one from eBay, there are loads on there for good prices, anything between £150-£200.
  • jpsid
    jpsid Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks - Would you mind posting a link for the rads you are looking at please. We will require around 6400 btu's.
  • Ebay item: 160648415923 is the one I think I am getting.

Do not buy from ibathuk on eBay, they sell lots of radiators, I ordered one two weeks ago in auction, to be told they had no stock, why was it is auction then?! Anyway, emailed me yesterday to say no stock until November 8th, disgusting really!
  • Something like this??
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/atlas-designer-radiator-anthracite-1800-x-530mm/71589#

We bought our towel radiator from Screwfix for our new little cloakroom on the recommendation of our heating engineer. The one we originally bought (for only a few £s less) from a certain high street DIY chain he pronounced - 'utter rubbish' and pointed out that there were already signs of rust on it, which was true.
  • We're looking at radiators ourselves at the moment for our cottage renovation/extension and are probably going to buy from www.traderadiators.com. Not having used them before I can't comment on their products/service but they do have a massive range.

It seems that chrome radiators are a lot less efficient than white ones, whilst you can also get black and anthracite. There's a calculator for the wattage you need on the trade radiators site, but I'm not qualified to comment on its accuracy.

We'd be interested to see what you decide on as it may help us too, and of course others.
  • Have a look at the designer rads on the B&Q website. We bought a slimline vertical one from them for the kitchen, Acova I think, high, white, (because it gives out more heat than chrome), lots of thin tubes. The site gives heat specs for the different size rads. Try and buy when they are doing one of their frequent offers!
  • Just had a look and it's not that easy to see them. Suggest you download the full designer rad brochure from this page
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templates/content_lookup.jsp?content=/content/inspiration/brochures/index/index.jsp&menu=default
    and have a browse. Ours is the Acova Striane Vertical Page 32. Throws out lots of heat.
  • Yes B&Q are actually very well priced for a retailer, they have a nice range. I'm just hoping the ones on eBay are of half decent quality!
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    PeggyAnn wrote: »
    We're looking at radiators ourselves at the moment for our cottage renovation/extension and are probably going to buy from www.traderadiators.com. Not having used them before I can't comment on their products/service but they do have a massive range.

I bought one of their designer radiators for the new kitchen dining room this summer.

In general I am quite pleased with it, although you have to inspect the item as soon as it arrives. I tried to do this but missed a small dent at the back. On balance I decided to keep the product.
  • PeggyAnn_2
    PeggyAnn_2 Posts: 60 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2011 at 10:57AM
    kabayiri wrote: »
    I bought one of their designer radiators for the new kitchen dining room this summer.

In general I am quite pleased with it, although you have to inspect the item as soon as it arrives. I tried to do this but missed a small dent at the back. On balance I decided to keep the product.

In my experience few drivers will wait long enough for a sufficiently thorough inspection.

Some firms say that signing unchecked isn't acceptable. This seems to be passing on the terms and conditions imposed by their carriers.

My feeling is that this is a try on by the carriers, and that these terms and conditions don't supercede the law and would therefore probably be unenforceable.

Indeed, we had a situation like this in our family last year. When explained in this way the company backed down, perhaps helped by our raising of a dispute with the credit card company.

What do others feel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport