Ford focus central locking problem

Poppycat
Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Couple of weeks back I had problems locking one of the rear passenger door so I now pushed the catch in and open it from with inside the car, this happened before and for some reason got it working again.

Tonight I cant used the central locking at all on the Ford Focus, when you press the button on the key to lock it makes a mechanical noise as if its going to lock and then unlocks itself.

There seems to be a common problem with this car judging by few links I have found including this one

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29874

I took the battery out of the key and cleaned the points. Now if I press the button all the doors open accept the drivers only manual will do. Doors wont lock again only manual will lock them by inserting key in door and keep it pressed until indicator lights flash to indicate doors lock

Any suggestions, I can only lock the car with key in car door now

Thanks

Comments

• emjel
    emjel Posts: 23 Forumite
    I just started to experience this problem on my 1998 Focus. The only way I can get it to lock is to push the button on the passenger door whilst the drivers door is open. Then use the key to lock the drivers door.
  • Cricri
    Cricri Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same problem on a 2001 Focus. It used to not work, then worked again when the weather was hot and dry, and since 2 weeks did it again (whether cold and/or damp again).
    I was told to check the fuse 63 in the compartment behind the glove box, so I'll try that.
  • take it apart clean it up, put some silicone base lube on it
  • i have a 2001 mk1 ford focus fixed this repair myself on a very cold saturday morning, here was the problem...

1) when cold/frosty or 1st thing in a morning/late at night, when i went to lock the car using the key fob (the usual one press to lock the doors, 2nd press to deadlock with flashing indicators) it sounded like it was trying to lock but unlocked straight away...

kind of sounded like "clunk...clunk" as if something was catching and preventing locking?

then when i tried to use the key in the drivers door lock, the same thing happened.

2) while in the car sometimes when i went to lock all the doors from the inside drivers door, the same thing "cluck...clunk" etc

3) however all the doors would lock if the passenger door inside lock was used. and could lock all the doors using the key in the passenger door lock.

never really happened during the day or when it was warmer?

so i did a bit of internet reading and was pretty sure something was sticking in the door mechanism, probably the solenoid because i read if it feels resistence it unlocks??? which would explain why the doors would lock from the passenger side.

tried the recommended drowning the lock in WD40 - doesnt work.

a ford garage agreed with me but wanted £90+VAT to fit the part and £80+VAT for the part! stuff that!

went down to a local scrap yard, removed a good condition mechanism from a similar focus. not an issue to do this at all, as this method uses your orgininal lock barrel and door handle etc so no issues with reprogramming of keys.

the mechanism cost £25 and took me like 3 hours to replace. and it all works beautifully!! no changing fuses, batteries or programming keys!! this is the solution to the problem!!

it is quite a complex job and allthough im only 21 with fairly capable mechanic skills i think any competant DIYer could do it?

you ideally need a haynes manual, some TORX screw bits, phillips screw bits and thats about it really and a lot of patience!!!

what i did was to take my haynes manual with me to the scrap yard and practise the whole removal/refitting before i touched my precious focus!!

if attempting this repair i would suggest once the whole mechanism has been removed, spend 15minutes looking at what goes where and ideally take photos/draw pictures as once you start taking things apart its easy to forget where things go?

so instead of paying £200+ getting it fixed at ford, it cost me £25 and 3ish hours:) GOOD TIMES!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure