PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Warning: Sale and Rent back schemes

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can we have a sticky about this on the House Buying etc board please? We're asked several times a week about these schemes.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    no - go away.. Only joking.

I believe this topic is more suited to the House selling board too..
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    chunkylegs wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe that people have not already tried that my financial life fell apart 9 months ago and the bottom line is there is nothing you can do about it until it bottoms out. I was stupid but I am not stupid and believe me I have found myself in a situation I can not fathom. I earn over £40.000 a year and the powers that be are desperate to see me go to the wall.

if there is 25% equity in your propoerty I would be very surprised if it can't be sorted out without selling way under value, and I've seen some pretty desperate situations. Unfortunately these "property angels" that come to save you would rather you didn't know about the alternatives - all they want is a cheap house.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

• Sorry Toonfish, I would have to disagree. The company I represent, Repossession Angels, is keen to build long-term relationships with its clients and we would not be doing ourselves any favours if we didnt explore all the options available to our clients before proceeding with a sell and rent back transaction.

The main options that are usually explored include re-mortgaging; swapping from repayment to interest only; a payment holiday; extension of the term; an estate/auction agent sale; help from friends/family. We ask whether the person(s) has explored them all (and will assist our clients in finding out) before we proceed to even discuss the possibility of sell and rent back. The unfortunate reality is that the majority of people that are facing repossession are those who have taken sub-prime loans and initial lower fixed rates which are hiked up after 2-5 years to a totally unaffordable rate, at which point the mortgage companies would point to the small print. We have found that they are, more often than not, unwilling to compromise.

Having been recently communicating with the FSA and Office of Fair Trading, regulation of the industry is inevitable and we, along with must Sell and Rent Back Property Investors I have met, are welcoming it. We run credit, bankruptcy and CRB checks against anyone who wants to join the organisation as well as ensuring that the investor has sufficient capital backing should things go wrong (such as tenants defaulting, damages). We also offer separate long-term rental agreements (with compensation to the tenant should the SARB landlord breach the terms).
  • toonfish
    toonfish Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Sorry Toonfish, I would have to disagree. The company I represent, Repossession Angels, is keen to build long-term relationships with its clients and we would not be doing ourselves any favours if we didnt explore all the options available to our clients before proceeding with a sell and rent back transaction.

The main options that are usually explored include re-mortgaging; swapping from repayment to interest only; a payment holiday; extension of the term; an estate/auction agent sale; help from friends/family. We ask whether the person(s) has explored them all (and will assist our clients in finding out) before we proceed to even discuss the possibility of sell and rent back. The unfortunate reality is that the majority of people that are facing repossession are those who have taken sub-prime loans and initial lower fixed rates which are hiked up after 2-5 years to a totally unaffordable rate, at which point the mortgage companies would point to the small print. We have found that they are, more often than not, unwilling to compromise.

Having been recently communicating with the FSA and Office of Fair Trading, regulation of the industry is inevitable and we, along with must Sell and Rent Back Property Investors I have met, are welcoming it. We run credit, bankruptcy and CRB checks against anyone who wants to join the organisation as well as ensuring that the investor has sufficient capital backing should things go wrong (such as tenants defaulting, damages). We also offer separate long-term rental agreements (with compensation to the tenant should the SARB landlord breach the terms).

you may be an exeption, but the number of websites selling qualified leads to contact distressed sellers would suggest my experience is not unusual.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

• payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    RA..
    The company I represent, ...., is keen to build long-term relationships with its clients and we would not be doing ourselves any favours if we didnt explore all the options available to our clients before proceeding with a sell and rent back transaction.

The main options that are usually explored include re-mortgaging; swapping from repayment to interest only; a payment holiday; extension of the term; an estate/auction agent sale; help from friends/family.

can't see these mentioned on your website
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    With the FSA looking at introducing a minimum of £50k in the bank (and having assets exceeding liabilities) for firms directly regulated by them, I wonder how many of these companies could afford that?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • payless wrote: »
    can't see these mentioned on your website

Very true, but if you would like me forward a copy of the literature we give to each person that expresses an interest in our service - I would be more than happy to do so...
  • toonfish wrote: »
    you may be an exeption, but the number of websites selling qualified leads to contact distressed sellers would suggest my experience is not unusual.

I agree, the barriers to entry into the sell and rent back industry are very low - which is why certain parameters need to be set with the rent-back tenants' interest being central, whilst also thinking of the landlords risks.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    We run credit, bankruptcy and CRB checks against anyone who wants to join the organisation as well as ensuring that the investor has sufficient capital backing should things go wrong (such as tenants defaulting, damages). We also offer separate long-term rental agreements (with compensation to the tenant should the SARB landlord breach the terms).

Credit and bankruptcy checks are pretty pointless, most SARB operators want to remortgage properties regularly so they obviously have good credit rating. What is CRB going to tell you, that they haven't abused children in the past?

Can you explain how long term rental agreements ties in with mortgage lenders demanding a maximum 12 month AST. Most SARB want no money down deals or limited deposits, so would be bound by lenders requirements for ASTs, how can you offer tenants rental agreements in breach of mortgage terms and conditions?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure