PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pickling beetroot

I am new to pickling and have a load of beetroot that i have grown in my garden which i want to do something with. Can anyone let me know what i need and how i pickle these.

Also i know that the leaves are edible but don't know how to prepare/cook them either.
:T

Comments

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Here's St Delia's posh way of doing it...

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000000909.asp

but I just boil the beetroot til tender then skin and slice into jars...boil and then simmer for 5 mins a mix of white vinegar, bay leaf, half teaspoon of peppercorns, couple of cloves, half cinnamon stick - pour over beetroot in jars and seal....

But....imho...beetroot is at its best just boiled, (or roast), and served hot as a vegetable with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya,

I haven't a clue about pickling them myself but the person who wrote a good looking article about it seems to :)

To see the article ---> Click Here

The tender new leaves can be served (washed) in a salad. Older ones can be boiled for a few minutes, pressed dry, and served with a knob of butter.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I Microwave My Beetroot, Top And Tail, Put In A Dish With The Base Just Covered In Water, Cover With Cling Film And Pierce It, And Cook On Full For 15 Mins, Then Cool, Peel Slice And Put In Jars, Fill With Half Vinegar, Half Water.

Hth

• Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    The leaves can be used instead of spinage and can be cooked the same way. Tastes better than spinage IMO and means you get two veg for the price of one if you are buying them. I refuse to buy beetroot unless the shop has left the leaves on.

Personally I prefer beetroot raw in salads. Slice thinly with some slices pear and sliced apple, pour on a little good olive oil, salt, pepper and serve. The fruit really softens the beetroot taste. Even my 2 year old son eats beetroot this way.

Alternatively add some thinly sliced boiled beetroot to cooked rice along with apple, sultanas and whatever else you have around that you think might work. If you cook the rice in the beetroot water it goes purple.

P.s. Pickled beetroot is absolutely disgusting. Worse than olives. Yuk Yuk Yuk!!! Don't do it. (And remember Rhubarb's only culinary use is in crumbles.)
  • moran73
    moran73 Posts: 69 Forumite
    thanks for everyones tips - i'm going to have a busy weekend of experimentation :j
  • Morning everyone, hope you are having a good weekend.

I have received loads of beetroot in my veg bag and thought of pickling beetroot for Christmas. I am unsure though if I can use 'normal vinegar' or do I have to use a special type ? Any advice will be gratefully received !

Thanks alot,
    Bek x
  • Hello Bektoria,

I only pickle Eggs and Onions myself but the link below will advise on pickling Beetroot. It looks quite straight forward so may try it myself next year. :D

Hope this helps.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=pickledbeetroot
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I did some of mine in white vinegar and some in ordinary malt vinegar. Because of the beetroot colout you can't notice the difference;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Marguerite Patten says to use spiced vinegar. You can buy pickling spices your self or use any spices you might have, either alone or in combination - for example, chilli, cinnamon bark, corianderseeds, mustard seeds etc.

Basically, depending on your taste you put 1 teaspoon to one tablespoon of spice to one pint of vinegar. For well spiced vinegar you boil it for 15 mins, less if you want it less spicy. HTH.
  • I did some myself this year (goodness knows what it will be like by Christmas!)

I used the spiced vinegar for pickling, Dad gave it to me so I'm not sure where to buy it.

I boiled my beets in the skins then peeled. I wore gloves as it's a messy job, the put the beets into warmed sterilised mason jars, filled up with pickling vinegar and sealed up.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport