PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Batch cooking

Hi all

I'd like to do some batch cooking this w/e so we've got some homemade 'ready' meals in the freezer, but I'm bored of casserole and cottage pie. What does everyone else make in batches that freezes well?

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I make a batch of chilli, freeze some in portions with rice, other portions with jacket potatoes and cheese, then wrap some of it in wraps as enchiladas. If there's any left, it's good with pasta too.

I also freeze soups, stir fried noodles... pretty much anything really!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • As well as bolognese, chilli, slow cooked beef curry, I like batch cooking stir-fry or pasta type sauces - curry, sweet and sour, lemon, mandarin, tomato. Makes for a really quick stir-fry or pasta sauce. If you also have diced chicken/meat or meatballs frozen it makes for a really quickly thrown together meal.
  • Thanks for that. I should have said, I have a husband with IBS so curries, chillies, etc. are no good. A constant source of disappointment for me because I love them!
  • Risotto? I have IBS and find that it's ok with me but I know everyone is different with IBS.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 6 - 2058
  • dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that. I should have said, I have a husband with IBS so curries, chillies, etc. are no good. A constant source of disappointment for me because I love them!

Batch cooking can really help you here.

Make a large chilli (or curry, or whatever) and then freeze it in single portions. When you batch cook the things your huband is able to eat, freeze some of these in single portions as well.,

Then you can pull out a single portion chilli for you and a single portion whatever for your husband.

Because you are only heating it up, it's no hassle "cooking" two different things for dinner.

Hope that helps.
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I second 'mince of the world' recipes. I cook basic savory mince and freeze it. Then add tomatoes and mushrooms for spaghetti bol or lasagne, kidney beans for chilli, baked beans and mash for shep pie, or if only a tiny bit can add everythign and make pasties.
    Stew freezes really well and then you only need to cook the accompanyment - dumplings or pots - or cheat and have it with bread and butter.
  • Thank you. Stupidly, I hadn't thought of cooking a basic mince and then tarting it up, or of cooking different stuff to freeze. I'm traditionally not very organised but I'm working on it!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Just for others reading this - I am very wary of freezing curries or anything very spicy as freezing can change the chemicals. I tend to freeze "basics" and then add to them.
    Pie fillings are good: chicken & ham (I use hock) and steak & kidney.

I also love this one: I make and batch freeze a basic gumbo sauce. I then de-frost and add anything to it that needs eating up (you can throw odd bits of chicken or ham in it, or any fish). I also like to have it by, because adding frozen prawns to it makes a great meal if someone comes round. You can thin it down & serve with bread as a hearty soup, or keep as is and serve with rice.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Make lasagne, and freeze uncooked, or cooked.
    Any stews, pies [freeze either cooked or uncooked], as already mentioned chillies and curries for you, fishcakes, moussaka.

Basically, just imagine walking through the frozen section of any supermarket and see what is frozen, then make it at home :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I make a large batch of tomato sauce and freeze in tubs-good with pasta, meatballs or chicken breasts.

Meatballs freeze well-make a large batch in the oven.

I also double up when I make beef in beer -we have half as a casserole perhaps with a french bread and cheese topping then I freeze the rest and make a beef and ale pie another day,

Pastry freezes well so you can make a large batch and divide into portions-I worked out that for a pie for DH and me I needed 5 oz of pastry so always weigh it out into 5 oz portions now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure