convector room heater - safe to run?

hi folks, wondering if you can give me some advice. i have just bought a house; house is warm but one of the upstairs bedroom does bot have a radiator. because of the layout of the house (it's a chalet type house with underfloor heating in all the rooms; bathrooms have normal radiators) i do not want to start ripping up floorboards just to install a single radiator in this only upstairs bedroom (not at the moment anyway). the room is very cold as you can imagine and it just needs some tender loving care. just to get me through would a convector heater be safe and (reasonably) economical to run in your opinion (such as link below). i am not just wanting to keep the room superficially warm (for the person living in there) but because, longer term, if it is left without warmth then this will cause more problems. i don't anticipate leaving the heater on all day by any means - just for short runs etc. sorry for the long post: would really appreciate your advice. also argos also sell oil-filled radiators: is there a major difference; i just want something convenient and which warms the room up. thanks as always folk :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0521383/Trail/C%24cip%3D50160.Kitchen%2Band%2Blaundry%3EC%24cip%3D50170.Heaters%2Band%2Bcoolers%3EC%24cip%3D50177.Convector%2Bheaters.htm
BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Yes, I imagine that would be ok. I'm going to get something similar for our conservatory. Running costs will depend on how much you have it switched on. How big is the room?
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Convector heater will give more rapid response but oil filled is better for low level heating. You could plug in either via a time clock.

Both are "safe" to use but you must be careful never to cover a convector - can cause fire.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Yes, I imagine that would be ok. I'm going to get something similar for our conservatory. Running costs will depend on how much you have it switched on. How big is the room?

thanks. my arithmetic is appaling - the size of the room is approx 3metres by 2.5metres (it's not the master bedroom, but next one down).
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

• free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    Convector heater will give more rapid response but oil filled is better for low level heating. You could plug in either via a time clock.

Both are "safe" to use but you must be careful never to cover a convector - can cause fire.

thanks. sorry for the following stupid questions: is low level heating what i should really be concerned about; and do the oil filled radiators actually have to be filled with oil regularly; and third which particular oil? thanks :)

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I got one of these the other day and they are quick to heat room up and pretty safe as long as you leave some space for them. They also have various hear settings smallest being 400w.

1.6kW Halogen Heater £19.99
  • PurpleDuck
    PurpleDuck Posts: 230 Forumite
    thanks. sorry for the following stupid questions: is low level heating what i should really be concerned about; and do the oil filled radiators actually have to be filled with oil regularly; and third which particular oil? thanks :)

Don't have to be filled at all so don't worry about that :D
  • rosekitten
    rosekitten Posts: 1,812 Forumite
    we have one of the halogen fires they are good
    even on the lowest setting
    :j:j:j
  • Nobleck
    Nobleck Posts: 287 Forumite
    Convector heaters are the quickest way of heating a room, whereas oil filled radiators tend to take ages to heat a room.
    Oil filled radiators get very hot to the touch whereas convector heaters cool down very rapidly.
    On an energy point of view there probably isn't much difference , as the long running of an oil rad to heat up a room would probably cost the same as a sort burst with a convector heater.
    Goodluck with your choice either heater would be sufficient however i favor the Convector.
  • joughtib
    joughtib Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    We've been running a 2kw convector heater in our conservatory over the winter, and our electric bill is horrendous! Just a word of caution, yes they heat a room quick, but you'll heat it quicker when you get the electric bill, with the running around the room screaming!

We've now got a gas portable fire, which is used in small doses (with plenty of ventilation!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure