PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Do you have a hobby or particular craft that you do which saves you money?

In days of old, each and every skill, talent was put to good use to make things for the family and home.

I recall the days when my dMother would scour the jumble sales for old jumpers - not to wear (!) but for the sole purpose of unpicking the yarn so she could crochet them into a lap blanket to keep our legs warm during winter months.

I once attended a family wedding in a beautiful crocheted skirt and top made up solely from old jumpers my mother had unpicked!

I confess that crochet and knitting have never been a hobby or skill that I have, although I can do the most basic in both.

The hobbies/crafts I *do* put to use to save on pennies and bring originality and personality to my home are:-

Quilting - not just for beds: cushions, lap quilts, placemats, table runners, curtain valances, tablecloths, wall hangings, wardrobe satchets, towel trims etc.

Sewing: clothing (rarely), curtains, linen bags, shoe bags, book bags, tissue box covers, picture frames are just some of the things I make.

Card Making - mainly for special people; for those times when a card is called for and the person isn't a close friend/family member then it's cheaper to buy cards in sales!!

Rag Rugs - my dMother taught us all how to do latch hook rugging when we were kids; I have very fond memories of sitting around the coal fire and my brothers and I taking turns to complete our family rug. When the "fluffy" side wore out (after years of use!) it was simply turned over so the back now took the wear and tear :D

These are just some of the things I do.

So, come on, share your hobbies, crafts, skills that you do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

• cath-w
    cath-w Posts: 132 Forumite
    I too sew, knit, crochet, quilt etc.

I made a lot of gifts for friends, I also unpick jumpers and re-use the wool, old t-shirts are used in rags rugs. I also buy a lot of clothes from charity shops and alter them to look better, e.g. I bought a coat with a broken zip and re-fitted a new one, I also got a really nice shirt, but it had a very big 70's collar on it. I took the collar off made is smaller and re-fitted the collar.

Most things in the house are home made including quilt covers, cushion covers, bags, etc. The most innovative thing I have made so far was an apron. It is made from the top parts of jeans which is not much use for bags, cushions etc due to the pockets and waistband. I stiched together the material and made a great apron.

I am currently working on a large wall hanging made from lots of end pieces of wool and beads. The next project will be a new quilt.

C.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Cath-w, The apron is a great idea but I have to say jeans make a perfect bag too. I have seen this done and am going to have a go as a birthday gift.

The legs are cut off like VERY short shorts (almost square) then turn the shorts inside out sew along the bottom of each leg. unpick the inside of the waistband and attach a zip (re attaching the waitsband at the same time). Use the length of the legs to make 2 straps and sew them on. You can sew up the front pockets and cut them off on the inside but the back pockets make great pockets, you can decorate them with sequins or patches for an even more novelty bag.

These are great for school, college or university because, if you have a big bum (like me) you can fit a lever arch file in :D (I've tried!)

I make gifts more than household stuff but I am going to try to make some curtains for my bedroom, when I have decided on the material, which will save me a fortune.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I do cross stich cards for a special person or birthday.

My kids have also collected large pebbles from the beach-this can only be done if you live near the coast-and painted pictures on the stones with acrylic paints. Grandparents cherish them as door stops.

I make 'Bara Brith' at Xmas, which is a sort of welsh tea bread, can be made cheaply and tasts yummmmmy. Buy or beg some cellophane from the local florist, if its Xmas, cellophane with holly on is nice, and tie up the Bara Brith in the stuff with a fluted top using coloured Xmas stringy stuff. You know the stuff you can curl with scissors.

One your I grew gourds, varnished them, and gave them as a present in a wicker basket.
    :j
  • cath-w
    Galtizz wrote:
    Cath-w, The apron is a great idea but I have to say jeans make a perfect bag too. I have seen this done and am going to have a go as a birthday gift.

I use denim a lot in bags as it is very strong. I triple-stich the seams to make sure that the bag can take a lot of weight. If you are interested here are some pics of things I made last year. I am hoping to try and make a collection of things to sell at some point *fingers crossed*.

http://www.bycath.techno-nomads.net/crafts/crafts.html

The denim apron is on there on the 'Other' link.

C.
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They are all great Cath, I love the appron.
    :j
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    You work is beautiful cath :) thanks for sharing the link, I love seeing people's craftwork.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    the apron is cool
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    The apron is fantastic! I love the denim cushions too.
    I think you could definatley sell the things that you've made, people love something a bit different and it is obviously really good quality. Good luck.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hope nobody minds my asking but...when you unpick a jumper is it easy to knit with the crinkly yarn that results from it, or do you have any tips for making it more manageable. It seems like an excellent idea - wool is soooo expensive to buy for knitting.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • cath-w
    bugs wrote:
    Hope nobody minds my asking but...when you unpick a jumper is it easy to knit with the crinkly yarn that results from it, or do you have any tips for making it more manageable. It seems like an excellent idea - wool is soooo expensive to buy for knitting.

Some wool is fine to knit as crinkly others not. It depends on the yarn, the weight and the pattern. Some times your knitting can look lumpy as it has not knitted tight enough. People suggest hand washing it to get the crinkles out, but this is a major pain and takes forever to dry and usually does not work. I have, however, recycled some really nice wool which I then ironed! I would iron a small ball at a time by pulling the yarn through quickly underneath the iron. Still not finish doing this yet, but I will get there eventually and the wool would be ready to use.

C.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport