PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May Update: What are you growing in 2006? (Tips here for Fruit, Veggies and Flowers!)

Here is the May thread to continue the discussion about what Oldstylers are growing in 2006.

If you'd like to be notified whenever someone else adds to this thread then you can choose to subscribe using the option under 'thread tools' at the top right of the thread.

Please come back to this thread to join in or to carry on where you left off.

It's another beautiful Bank Holiday Monday down here in the south and I have been outside since 8am (gasp!) potting on seedlings and planting out fresh seeds for salad for the summer.

Happy gardening, oldstylers!!!

Annie :j

Comments

• annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    What a lovely day it has been!

Here is a list of what I've sown/planted so far:

Apple tree (just sprouting leaves/blossom buds) :T

Blackcurrant and rasberry 'sticks' (just started sprouting leaves) :T

Salad potatoes (in pots in 3 stages - the first ones are just starting to grow!) :T

Tomatoes (3 kinds, some have already been eaten by snails :o , but the others are coming along nicely! )

Peppers (just potted on the seedlings) :T

Chillies (first lot got eaten :o ; second lot just potted on)

Spinach ( a few bolted :rolleyes: ; a few are potted on)

Rocket (just sown alongside the spinach today)

Gourds (tiny but solid little leaves have sprouted)

Radishes (thinned out today) :T

Cress (sown on the windowsill today)

Pomegranates (ambitious I know!! Sown and placed in the dark under stairs cupboard for 4-12 weeks, starting today...) ;)

Basil (only 3 tiny seedlings came up out of nearly a trayful in a propagator - sown more today, fingers crossed!)

Coriander (all eaten by slugs and snails! :o Sown more today)

Chives (struggling with these - can't get further than the 'single blade of grass' stage - any ideas anyone???) :confused:

Still to do:

Strawberries
    Spring Onions
    a few various herbs

How is everyone else getting on?

Annie
  • Calephetos
    Calephetos Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Popped two kinds of bean (Climbing Barlotto - speckly red beans!) and runners into little pots to get going, as well as liquorice, strawberry and welsh red onion - some of those are a bit late, but they only arrived from eBay the other day.

The Sub Arctic Plenty tomatos are racing along, probably due to the sunny windowsill effect, and the redcurrant is doubling in size everytime I look at it. The Black Cherry tomatos are very small, but they popped up late.

The courgette/pumpkins (a seed mix-up means I've no idea what I've got yet) are just sitting in their gro-bag and sulking.

Blackberry and raspberry are waving a few desultory leaves around.

Iris bulbs are being very green, but no sign of flowering.

Mint and basil have popped up a few leaves, gotten scared and popped back down again :S

Three lettuce seedlings (out of dozens of seeds) have sprouted, looking like little red-tinged dandelions.

The mixed flowers seeds are leafy, but that's it. Since I've never grown flowers before, I've no idea what to expect!

The capsicums have come back from the dead; they were an experiment back in September to see if seeds from peppers would take, and they've got a lot of new growth now. If nothing else, they'll look pretty - I'm not expecting fruit.

The olive has finished flowering (a bit early?) but if there are any more than 7 olives, they're not making themselves known.

The fig is leggy, but not flowering either.

My chives are refusing to do more than sprout 4" bendy green shoots.

The dwarf lavender is being very quiet and small, but perhaps that's to be expected.

The 'melon plant' from Wilkos keeps dying and popping up again. I'm getting a bit concerned about it. And my Black Peppermint, a gift from a friend, has died completely :'(

I've still got the potatoes to do - just waiting for some to sprout, and will need to find something for the beans to crawl up, eventually.

Getting a bit concerned about how to move all this come the autumn; we're supposed to be moving for J's PhD, assuming someone finally gives him some funding :S
  • GreenFingers_2
    GreenFingers_2 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Hello Annie-c,

The veggie growing is going quite well at the moment considering all this variable weather we’ve been having – hooray.:D I’ve posted a few piccys below… as you can see the Brussel Sprouts, Onions and Broccoli are doing fine. :p The leeks are catching up and so are a lot of the other seedlings - carrots, lettuces and so on.

There are quite a few other seedlings growing on in the greenhouse and the first batch of runner beans has been planted out. :D The sweet peppers, cucumbers and chillies are still on the kitchen windowsill and will go into the greenhouse in a couple of weeks – how wonderful. Hee hee.

Some sprouts, leeks and onions….. hooray.

Sprouts_01.jpg

Here’s some onions….Red Baron…yummy…

Onions_01.jpg

And some broccoli….even yummier…hooray…

Broccoli_01.jpg

:D
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I thought I was well behind being so ill and unable to do anything early in the year but things seem to be catching up a little for me.

Beauftiful strong looking first leaves on the courgettes. I appear to have one red pepper seedling out of a whole tray. Also the sweetcorn seedlings have appeared really quickly which surprised me.

The tomato seeds are sulking and not doing anything and I think something has got into my mini greenhouse and eaten all my pumkin seeds out of the pots. The butternut squash seeds are not doing anything either.

Uncovered the cloches today and I have one lovely thick row of beetroot seedlings and one baldy looking row where a cat has got under the cloche and done his business :(

Same again with the two rows of Swiss chard.

Today I have planted - carrot seeds, lambs lettuce, ordinary lettuce, sugarsnap peas, cauliflower, red shallots, onion sets and rocket.

I was given 6 gooseberry bushes and 4 rasberry canes and I've put those up against the sunny fence. There is a little bed just outside my shed and I've dug up the lavender and spindly rose bush and planted American Blueberry bushes instead.

Just a lot of tidying up to do tomorrow and 12 strawberry plants to stick in an old galvanised bath down the bottom of the garden. I have some copper tape to go round that to try and stop the rampage of snails that ate all mine last year :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Strepsy
    Strepsy Posts: 5,651 Forumite
    Wow, everyone's got loads of stuff on the go, and some really unusual stuff too! I love hearing what everyone's growing. Thanks for posting. Great pics too Green Fingers.

Here's a pic of my best Gartenperle tomato - got the seeds free with Grow Your Own magazine.

DSC01975.jpg

It's just about to flower so I'm quite excited.

I also have grown from seed 4 sweet peppers and 2 chilli plants; marigolds which have just started flowering, some 'Ailsa Craig' tomatoes aswell as some more Gartenperles; Busy Lizzies which look really huge and strong; radishes, little gems, carrots, lobelia, sweetcorn of which only one has popped up yet; sunflowers which are nearly too big for my windowsill now; and I'm also growing some verbascum which are bi-ennials so I have to get them through this year, overwinter and they'll flower next year. It's my first time growing bi-ennials so I'm none too confident. And apart from the seeds I have 4 raspberry canes, a gooseberry, a blueberry, a blackberry; spuds in buckets, garlic and onion sets on the go.
    I've been lucky, I'll be lucky again. ~ Bette Davis
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Nothing exotic growing here, just a good supply of basics:

22 tomato plants and 12 runner bean plants in the cold frame (I'm planting the beans 6 at a time in the hope of staggering the picking season a bit)
    6 yellow courgettes moved today from cold frame into veg patch - 3 under cloches and 3 in the open to see if it makes any difference.
    Leeks and spring onions sown under cloches directly in veg patch.
    Two rows of peas sown in veg patch. Will do another 2 next week, again to try and spread the picking a bit.
  • ageandjo
    ageandjo Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    I have never grown anything before but this year i am having a go. I only have the usual plants busy lizzie's lobelia petunia and also i have planted some tomatoe plants.
  • kjl26
    kjl26 Posts: 104 Forumite
    I've got three tumbler tomatoes, just gone outside in big pots, hope this isn't too early!

Also about 10 santa tomatoes with about six leaves each.
    15 chilli plants, all looking okay with about six big leaves each, 5 sweet peppers, four courgettes looking good and also just gone outside.

My aubergines seem not to be doing very much and stuck at two leaf stage, have quite a few of those still on inside windowsills, also some spinach which i have resown after getting nowhere with the first lot (the new ones are looking okay at the moment fingers crossed).

Outside we've got garlic, onion sets, coriander, salad leaves, rocket, broad beans (just planted) and peas (just planted). These are all in some great raised beds that OH made (our 'garden' is concreted over and we can't change it according to our leasehold), and he's made some lattices for the peas and beans to grow up too, when (if?) they appear.

I think that's everything... I am trying mint too but having failure after failure with it - any ideas?
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi I've just started my gardening experiment this year. Only have 2 small beds, I at front which I am using to mix herbs and flowers and one at back for veggies. I have cheated with herbs and got some plants reduced from woolies to starts me off: rosemary, thyme, oregano, marjoram and sage. I am also trying to germinate chives and basil from seed - fingers crossed, as I dont have a greenhouse so am relying on kitchen windowsill!
    At back I have marked out 2 rows of each:
    red onion, radishes, rocket, dwarf beans and runner beans. I planted 1 row this weekend and will do second in a month. I have a little space left, might try some courgettes too.
    Oh yes, and also got blackberry bush reduced in Woolies so have found a space for that. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on up in rainy Scotland!
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
  • katglasgow
    katglasgow Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    kjl26 - I got mint reduced down to Woolies for 10p. It came as part of a 4 pack of herbs that was originally £2.99 but because they others had died it was reduced down to peanuts. it was spearmint and quite a nice size. I've planted it into a pot as I remember having mint at a student flat years ago and it took over the whole garden!
    Me debt free thanks to MSE :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport