PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Comments

• Hiya guys,

Listed things in freezer so I can figure out what to use it all up on, (did have a list but forgot to update it. doh)

Can't sleep so sat here working out my meal plan with whats in the store cupboard/freezer, it may get a bit boring, meat wise but I will endeavor to be imaginative, there will be lots of meals containing mince lol plus still have loads of sausages/burgers left from when mr m had their 50p offers.(now what can you do to disguise burgers :confused:

HWGA xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Morning everyone - all quiet here this morning so sneaking on before anyone else awake. Must get some more Bananas today but apart from that not planning on buying anything else.

Dinner tonight is Sweet & Sour pork from the Freezer, pudding will probably just be some fruit.:D

Still not found out why my Post was deleted yesterday morning.:confused:

Have a good day everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,179
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Spent a bit more... had to get loo roll eventually!

Also, managed to hunt down some decent-looking birthday cards for 88p from Asda. I know they were only29p on the market, but they looked it.

The lure of the chocolate machine was too much on Monday when they wouldn't put the heating on at work. I've now got cupasoups handy - but the heating has been fixed. ho hum.

I succumbed to a bus pass as I wasn't sure my knee was completely better. I'll start walking again on Monday.

Today would be a NSD, but I need to get another card. This time In Sympathy. Old family friend who has always been good to me. Not happy times this week...
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!

March Grocery Challenge: £136.89/150
    YTD loss 3.2kg/7lbs.

Decluttering 716/2024 Awards 🥇
    (27/03/24)
  • cw18 wrote: »
    I have two packs of pork mince (250g each), and I used 250g lean beef mince to make meatballs last week -- which went down really well with the blokes when served with pasta and sauce (which surprised me)...... But can I make meatballs with pork, or is it likely to collapse when cooking it? I didn't use anything except HM breadcrumbs with the beef mince, but looking at the pork am thinking I may have to use egg to bind it :confused: Or can anyone suggest an alternative use for pork mince (given hubby doesn't like "dry" meals made with mince and I [strike]gag when cooking[/strike] don't like curry). Any (and all) suggestions gratefully appreciated :)

Hi,

I use the following pork meatball recipe which we all enjoy.

Pork meatballs

2 oz cheddar cheese
    2 garlic cloves
    1lb minced pork
    5 ½ oz fresh white breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp chopped parsley (don't always add this)
    1 tbsp chopped sage (dried is fine too - but I only use half this amount then)
    1 egg

Mix all of the above together with enough water to bind. Divide into small balls – size is up to you – I tend to make them quite small – with a heaped teaspoon of mixture as the kids like them that size and you get more! You then bake in a well greased ovenproof dish for about 35-40 mins at 180oC, shaking the dish every now and then until they are golden brown.

[FONT=&quot]Serve with spaghetti and tomato sauce[/FONT] or however you fancy.

Planning to visit Lidl today to take advantage of their half price fruit and veg and do some more soup for the freezer.

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    rosieben and perrywinkle - thanks for the pork mince link and recipe :)

wishus - the bus pass sounds like a good idea to me. if you don't let the knee get properly better it will only give out again soon. much better to treat it with some respect and pace yourself :)

trying to work out what meals to do this week to maximise the resulting freezer space -- which I can then fill with the cheap veg from Aldi. The meat in there should last us for at least 7 weeks, but I only have enough veg for a couple of weeks so it would be nice to bring them more into line with each other.....
    Cheryl
  • eveie189
    eveie189 Posts: 301
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning all

Well my sig shows everything. There's a strong possibility that I am gonna fail again this month although I aint going down without a fight. I need to stick with it cause I need to pay for my driving test and the cost of my chickens next week.
    On the plus side I have got loads in freezer and cupboards and I made my very first hm apple crumble on sunday and it was lovely so froze what was left.

Katie
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • cw18 wrote: »

Question for folks -- having done the stock take on my freezer earlier this afternoon, I'm now looking at a few of the bits and wondering how to make best use of them.

I have two packs of pork mince (250g each), and I used 250g lean beef mince to make meatballs last week -- which went down really well with the blokes when served with pasta and sauce (which surprised me)...... But can I make meatballs with pork, or is it likely to collapse when cooking it? I didn't use anything except HM breadcrumbs with the beef mince, but looking at the pork am thinking I may have to use egg to bind it :confused: Or can anyone suggest an alternative use for pork mince (given hubby doesn't like "dry" meals made with mince and I [strike]gag when cooking[/strike] don't like curry). Any (and all) suggestions gratefully appreciated :)

Ive made sweet and sour pork balls with pork mince. Make them into meatballs -just the meat and coat them in batter. You can add the breadcrumbs if you think it will be too sqooshy(is that a word?)so basically its a meatball in batter. My kids loved them too!

Now I'm tempted today to do an inventory of the freezer as like others-I take out one meal and put in 3 or 4 to replace it. Not too many ufo's anyhow or too many odments like it used to be. Just a bit too much of some things.

Made some bread last night in BM and cooked some steak pies for tonight along with a streudel(DH took half of it to work tho)so I only have to cook the veg today. Started a trifle also. Now Im going to boil some eggs for egg mayo for sarnies and put on the yoghurt maker. May also do a bread and butter pudding to use up the bread. I had the last bit of cooking bacon with eggs on toast last night to "use stuff up". Im right off of bought bread though since Ive been making more of it so I usually leave that to those who have to take sarnies with them.

Spent £29.14 so far on food this week so just have to last until Friday. New week begins Saturday.It will be well under budget this week and will more than balance the £10 over last week.
    Turning out the crockery cupboard now and giving away what I don't use-there is just too much stuff in there-its an avalanche of tumbling plastic when I open the door.
    Must start flylady again. I must go shine the sink! Dh had a right old moan yesterday about the state of the kitchen and how he spent 2 hours cleaning it up. Oh I was helping a family friend clean up! Ironinc I know but his needs are greater than mine. So I will try harder and today and tomorrow are to be NSD's.
    Hiya guys,

Listed things in freezer so I can figure out what to use it all up on, (did have a list but forgot to update it. doh)

Can't sleep so sat here working out my meal plan with whats in the store cupboard/freezer, it may get a bit boring, meat wise but I will endeavor to be imaginative, there will be lots of meals containing mince lol plus still have loads of sausages/burgers left from when mr m had their 50p offers.(now what can you do to disguise burgers :confused:

HWGA xx
    Well Ive served them with chilli sauce(as in a chilli con carne sauce)-instead of a chilli con carne. Or a nice bolognese sause. Well-its beef is what I said-you'd pay a fortune in a restaurant for such an original dish! Or if its for kids-a home made McD? I did that a couple of times-burgers in buns with a few trimmings-american fries in a separate dish and a bottle of coke served in plastic cups!
    They thought it was great-daft really I know but if Id done it the normal way it would have been boring.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone

In case anyone has a farm foods near them they have got milk on offer full or semi for £1 for 2 litres got my supply!
    Frugal challenge 2024

• Hi all

Am flying in and out for now because I have to make some phone calls but wanted to say that to anyone who likes fish, my OH went to Lidls last night and they have 1kg of frozen Pollock fillets (approx 12 per packet) on offer for £2!!

Pollock is a nice tasting white fish and isn't endangered like cod and at that price it's a real saving. I am already planning fish menus..:rotfl:

Will post back later

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    afternoon all

talking about fish has anyone tried PANGA it is nice like haddock and quite cheap as well,, from the Indian Ocean,, I like pollock too ,,and coley but its a bit grey

patentgirlHi everyone

In case anyone has a farm foods near them they have got milk on offer full or semi for £1 for 2 litres got my supply!

wish I had known this yesterday as I needed some and had to pay full price

I think I may have lost a receipt somewhere as I dont seem to be spending any money..will have to check these in front of me

see you soon

KAAT xx
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport