The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Sundown adventureland

Comments

• Bump as Danielle wanted to know which Public transport she needed not the route :)

Sorry I am from Leeds so I have no idea x
  • mew
    mew Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is a great little theme park for toddlers and young children, I went when I was little and have taken my own daughter. One thing I do find strange though is it's location. It's in the shadow of a large power station and just down the road from Rampton Secure mental hospital.

danielleknox23: I don't think it is a very easy place to get to by public transport, this might be of help: http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/LocalLynx.pdf

Have you thought Of http://www.wheelgatepark.com/ I don't think it's as good for toddlers as Sundown but for younger children it's really fun and should be easier to get to by bus as it's on a main road.
  • This place is fantastic for kids, I would say under 8's will find it great, over 8's may be little bored.
    There are half a dozen ish 'RIDES' and lots of open space for kids to run around in. Plenty of playground areas, 2 or 3 ?? massive sand pits with toys, go carts, lovely grassy areas for picnics. We went last week and only spent 2 x £8.50 (everyone is 1 price, under 2's I think free) couple quid for ice cream and £1.50 for toy sword in gift shop!! Took picnic and loved it.

Yes i do agree it seems in a really strange location, what with massive Power station near by, however you don't notice anything once in there and I'm sure if there was any health concerns then they wouldn't be celebrating their 40th birthday this year!!

Will definatley go back again at christmas
    :silenced:
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    Forumite
    Well. What can I say? It's brill!:D All you oop Northerners who live close to this place are very lucky indeed.

We were wondering what to do with Les Monsters on Bank Holiday Monday. As we had my nieces birthday party in Harlow and figured that we were a good hour into a journey to Sundown so we booked into Newark Premier Inn as our overnight base before heading to Sundown.

We arrived early as we always do (9.30am) and by 9.45 the tills were open even though it states 10am opening! :T I've never seen that in a theme park!

When we walked in it brought back reminders of Disney Paris.

The rides were good for DD1&2 and they loved walking into and out of the buildings. Loved the Crash Landings place - new, modern and clean. And the staff were friendly too, not like the surly lot we get Dahn Sarf!

Prices were reasonable to eat in - £9 for burger, 2 hot dogs, 2 fries and 2 drinks; although I would have preferred at least one of the cafes being less burger n chips and more decent cooked meals.
    The man without a signature.
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I used to take my kids there and they loved it!!! (note I said used to-they're teenagers now). But it was great fun and to cut costs we used to take a picnic. For best value for money we used to 'make a full day of it' the kids never got bored of it and we all got got plenty of exercise and fresh air.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    At 28 I am a little overage for this place but it was great. I went last month with my g/f and her 2 y/o daughter.

We had a great time. G/f and I were able to play on everything as well.

The water ride was out of action for servicing.

We took a picnic and sat under the shelter, it was a little cold but not rainy.

It is really well done, i was amazed at the detail and the thought that had gone into it.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • foxmeister
    foxmeister Posts: 121
    Forumite
    We went last year with our 3 year old and 1 year old.
    Had a nice day although animals not up to much, very few animals compared with what I remember from when I went on school trips there 20+ years ago!! ... suggest Flamingoland if your kids like animals.
    Personally I thought that our kids were a bit young to fully enjoy and appreciate the activities and 'things to do'.
    Maybe we'll go again next year when they're older.
    Foxy.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Sundown (formerly pets corner god that makes me old !) is great for the kids, only letdown is not much to to indoors, although i think a new indoor area has opened up this year.

I can also suggest Twinlakes nr Melton Mowbary, this is a very good park too and has 2 huge and i mean huge indoor play areas so if the weather is poor there is loads to do indoor,and loads of animals to look at and feed as well, i would say this is age range 3+ up to teenagers as there are a few thrill rides there for the older ones, i would say Twinlakes is far better value for money as there is so much more to do there, they also own Wheelgate Park but not been there myself co cant comment.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    The lack of animals is apparently due to foot and mouth a few years ago.

Sundown changed from animals to the animated animals.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • david2903
    david2903 Posts: 69 Forumite
    this place is great for kids.. a quick money saving idea from me is to take your own food, (have a picnic in the car park) and for my four year old we get him to squeeze in to my 2 years old pushchair legs crossed and blanket over.. gets him in for free everytime!lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure