Petrol prices, fill up in Dover or Calais?

Hi,

Wondered if anyone knew the price of fuel in France? I think they pay less duty, but then with the price of the Euro I didn't know where I'd be best filling up Dover or Calais? (mines a diesel but I epect the differneces are similar).

Thanks!

Comments

• poe.tuesday
    poe.tuesday Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    we were in france in late feb and we were paying about €1.27 - which is about £1.11 - so it is cheaper but just watch how you pay for it as you don't want to pay on your card and then have to pay the exchange rate
  • Bogtrotter
    Bogtrotter Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Don't know for sure about Pas-de-Calais but my friend in Poitou-Charentes region was paying €1.29 for a litre of diesel in the supermarket last week. I should imagine that the price should be similar in Calais Hypermarkets.

So if you are getting an exchange rate of around £1 = €1.10 you'll save 10%-15% by filling up in France.
  • Nightowl
    Nightowl Posts: 234 Forumite
    Great news, thank you both for that info!
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I was in Paris two weeks ago and it was closer to 1.50 euros than 1.29. Admittedly Paris might be pricier than a Calais hypermarket.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2011 at 8:49PM
    According to the AA Ireland website, unleaded is 4% cheaper in the UK than it is in France, however diesel is 9% cheaper in France.

Obviously exact difference varies with exchange rate, but in general, France has lower duty on diesel.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2011 at 9:18PM
    I haven't been over since end of last year and we found it cheaper over in Calais area than the UK (although I am going over next month)

Totally offtopic - but your piggies are lovely :) (just looked at your website because I noticed that you obviously had cavies)
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Just a comment - when I took my car abroad you couldn't have it full to the brim with fuel - against the ferry rules.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nightowl wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondered if anyone knew the price of fuel in France? I think they pay less duty, but then with the price of the Euro I didn't know where I'd be best filling up Dover or Calais? (mines a diesel but I epect the differneces are similar).

Thanks!

You can get the price of fuel at every petrol station in France from HERE. From the home page area 62 is the Calais region click Gazole for diesel and SP 95 for U/L. If you then click on the gazole bit above the price it will sort it from low-high or vv.

The cheapest diesel, in the Calais region, is listed at €1.31 and the dearest €1.49/L, U/L from €1.24-€1.66/L. There is a date when last updated. Clicking on carte, will show the garages on a map. Motorways are the more expensive, hypermarkets usually the cheapest.
  • I live a few miles inland from Dover- it's always more expensive there than the surrounding towns (with the exception of Deal!) Your best bet, depending on your direction in would be to fill up somewhere like Ashford, or preferably Canterbury (cheapest in the area) You'll then have plenty to get you away from the slightly inflated Calais prices.
    DTD...Dreading The Detox.
  • Oh my god. - That's a huge suprise.

While I was growing up my parents and I went camping to France all the time, they would always fill up with fuel before getting on ferry on the way home. I thought that the fuel cost about 1/2 the price over in france because they don't pay as much tax on it (I thought the tax was collected by toll booths instead).

I've just registered onto this forum specifically to ask about the logistics, legality and feasability of driving to france and on the way home from our campign trip, filling up the tank with fuel and also filling up a 20ltr (or maybe 1-2 5ltr) fuel can.

However - from a quick glance it seems that the fuel is the same sort of price, (possibly more after factoring in exchange rates) and ferries have limits on the amount of fuel you can bring over in a jerry can.

Also, someone above said that you can't 'fill your car to the brim' with fuel. - Are you refering to simply filling the tank to the brim? - surely they can't enforce such a silly rule as that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure