PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

liver and onions - in the slow cooker??

I've just bought some lambs liver to do for tea tomorrow night. I was thinking about liver and onions with mash.

Can i do this in my slow cooker, and if so how??

If not what is the best way you would recommend cooking this?

Thanks in advance for all help.

Julie

Comments

• sozzifer
    sozzifer Posts: 28 Forumite
    Don't know about cooking liver in a slow cooker - if you cook liver for too long it tends to go tough and dry - bleurgh.

My mum's recipe for liver and onions is yummy:

Chop the liver up and coat in seasoned flour. Fry some onions (and I use mushrooms too) for about 10 mins. Add the liver and fry for another 5 mins. Then add about half a pint of vegetable stock, mixed with a tablespoon of tomato puree, a teaspoon of English mustard and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Simmer on quite a high heat for 6-7 minutes - till the sauce has thickened. Serve with mash or rice.
  • TraceyB_2
    TraceyB_2 Posts: 678
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Julie,

I do liver in the slow cooker - and it comes out lovely!

I brown the liver, some bacon and onions lightly in a frying pan first (having dusted the liver in flour first) then throw it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours in some made up gravy!

I love it done this way - i ust do the spuds seperately.

will watch this to see how others do it.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi julie,

This older thread might help: Liver recipe needed

I'll merge your thread with that one later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Liver is really best cooked very quickly ;)
  • dianadors
    dianadors Posts: 801
    First Post
    Forumite
    I cook liver in Masala wine and Balsamic vinegar,onions and mushrooms. Not very money saving, but the liver is cheap and with mash its like a restaurant meal - but at home. Yummy
  • Juliep
    Juliep Posts: 136
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thanks for all your help

I think i'll just fry it up with onions and mushrooms (and maybe some peppers) this time (kids have never had it before and really don't want to spoil it in slow cooker for the first time).

If it goes down well i will try it in slow cooker next time.

Thanks Julie
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks for this thread,liver is what I`m doing for tea tomorrow.I was gunna put it in the slow cooker but I`ll just do it my usual way.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Juliep
    Juliep Posts: 136
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just finished tea, dd1 (13yearold) was disgusted but everyone else ate it. Fryed it with mushrooms, onions and peppers. Not sure if i will do it again or at least not for a while.

Julie
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    TraceyB wrote: »
    Hi Julie,

I do liver in the slow cooker - and it comes out lovely!

I brown the liver, some bacon and onions lightly in a frying pan first (having dusted the liver in flour first) then throw it in the slow cooker for about 6 hours in some made up gravy!

I love it done this way - i ust do the spuds seperately.

will watch this to see how others do it.

I did this yesterday, didn't bother with prefry and it was ready in 2 hours. Lovely and thick and soft, just how I like it!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It seems such a waste to me though?
    Lamb's liver takes minutes to cook so by the time you've browned it off on the top it's just about done?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure