PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unshrinking Jumpers

Comments

• sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,612
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i do mine on a 30 degree wool cycle - and dry flat, its the only thing i use fabric conditioner in- i have never had a problem. a friend was horrified the other week when i told her i wash my cashmere jumper in the machine.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I buy 2 sizes too big.. because they ALL shrink a little bit anyway.. and I sling them in on a wool cycle.. never had a problem!

My 2 oldest boys have 100% wool jumoers for school and I have never *touch wood* shrinkled one of those!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mute_posting
    mute_posting Posts: 810
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One of the style tips on Queer Eye I caught the closing credits for earlier mentioned soaking them in warm water with an egg-cup full of hair conditioner then re-shaping and laying flat to dry.

Worth a try...
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I just got a book recently called 'spotless' and it did carry the fullers' Earth tip, never heard it before but yep worth a try!
    One of my OH's jumpers shrunk but my DD quite likes it and wants it for herself:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Buy them too big. Wool cycle or hand wash and I usually hang those I expect to shrink

I have successfully stretched a bit back into a sweater using the weights you get for using when knitting on a machine that my Mam had, washed them and hung them wet with the weights on. Figured once it was shrank I may aswell try.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Hi,
    I've managed to shrink a woolly jumper in the wash. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stretch it again?
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I put my woolens in the tumble drier for about 5 minutes as it takes the jumper back into shape - cashmere, alpaca, lambswook - nothing will shrink in 5 minutes in a drier. Then I dry them on the airer
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    betyouaint wrote: »
    The one I used invloved soaking the garment in a solution of luke warm water and fuller's earth for 10-15 minutes, rinsing in more luke warm water and then gently stretching the garment out frequently whilst drying. Amongst it many other uses, fuller's earth was traditionally used in wool production for removing animal oils and the article i read also suggested it was a wool relaxant. .

Where can you buy fullers earth please?
    T
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Topher wrote: »
    Where can you buy fullers earth please?
    T

The cat litter I have bought before says fullers earth so thats probably what people can use, it says fullers earth and nothing else you can get it from tesco asda and most places
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family