PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

I had a very large glut of strawberries after massively over catering last weekend, so decided to make jam with them.
However, as am trying to be careful with what I eat, I hunted out a diabetic strawberry jam recipe off Google (see below)
I followed the recipe carefully and made the jam. Left it overnight and it didn't set.
Went out today and bought more gelatin, added a pack of gelation to every pint of jam. Made it early this afternnoon......just checked half an hour ago, and it still isn't set. What can I do???
Haven't frozen it yet...do you think that will make any difference?

Diabetic strawberry jam

4 cup Strawberries, halved
½ cup Concentrated white grape juice (simmered down from 1-1/2 cups)
2 ½ tablespoon Lemon juice
¼ teaspoon Grated lemon rind
1 ½ tablespoon Unflavored gelatin (1-1/2 envelops)
Place berries juices and lemon rind in saucepan. mash berries slightly to release juice. heat to boiling. Sprinkle with unflavored geltatin. Remove from heat, skim and pack into hot jars with hot lids. coool to room temperature before freezing. Because this is stored in the freezer, you may use any airtight, leakproof freezer container for sotrage, even plastic containers. Tastes better if allowed to sit for a week. freezes beautifully for up to 6 months
When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    Hello betterbargains4u

I think the cooking experts in the 'Old Style' board will help you, so I'll move your thread across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi there,
    Strawberries are famous for having very little pectin and therefore not setting well unless you add it.

I'm not familiar with diabetic jams so m not sure what the consistency should but if you've followed the recipe then you've probably got what you're supposed to get -thing is it won't be exactly like real jam. It sounds more like strawberry jelly.

I think you must resign yourself to the fact that if you want to make jam, you'll need lots of sugar -it'll keep for ages too without need for a freezer ;)
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I dont know how it will fit with the diabetic recipe but my mother used to use strawberry flavoured Gelatine (jelly) cubes in her jam when it would not set.

Speaking for myself, I just add more sugar or lemon juice or I boil the jam for a little while longer.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I agree with thriftlady - strawberry jam is notorious for being difficult to set.

My worry would be that adding more and more gelatine will affecr the flavour and *mouth feel* of the jam. If it were me, I'd cut my losses. Have a taste, if it's OK, get it into the freezer, then keep what you're using in the fridge - have it on toast and it may well be thick enough.

If it's too runny for toast, have it on Brymoor diabetic vanilla ice cream - enjoy!

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep :)

You can sometimes find pectin available to add to fruits like strawberries - otherwise you can do things like chop up a whole apple, put it in a muslin bag and boil it up in your strawberry mix to get the pectin level up. Then just lift it out.

If it still won't set... just use it on ice cream or other deserts as a strawberry sauce. It works a treat when poured over a basic sponge pudding, for example...

.. I bet you can't guess how I found that out! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Many thanks to you all.
    The ...jam!!! is very runny and doesn't appear to have changed consistency at all, since I made it.
    I am not a diabetic, but wanted to make something with less sugar in it, as I am very conscious of the amount of sweet things I eat.
    I will try to add a strawberry jelly cube to each jar and then give up, if that doesn't work.
    Unless anyone has any more suggestions??
    When life throws you lemons...put them in a gin and tonic !!
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy bottles of pectin from supermarkets and chemists, although you may have to hunt around for it - I think it's called Certo? I'm also wondering whether the jam may have been too hot when you added the gelatine? I've had a couple of occasions when I've let mine get too hot and the things I've added it to have never really set quite right. You could maybe try adding some more to the cooled jam, by melting it gently first them stirring it in. Although I'm wondering if it's meant to be *that* thick anyway? Gelatine (in my experience) doesn't really like to be frozen ...
  • bunty109
    bunty109 Posts: 1,265
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can get Certo from Sainsburys in the sugar aisle.

Lemon juice will also help but as you haven't sugar in there as such I am not sure how that affects the lemon juice.
    MFW 2019#24 £9474.89/£11000 MFW 2018#24 £23025.41/£15000
    MFi3 v5 #53 £12531/
    MFi3 v4 #53 £59442/£39387
  • Gironde_Gal
    Gironde_Gal Posts: 27
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love to make jams and chutneys from the glut of produce in my garden. However in the last couple of years I have failed to get any of my jam to set, so I am very nervous of making any more as the fruit will be spoiled. OH doesn't mind as he would prefer to make wine with it:rotfl:

I usually follow recipes in Marguerite Patten's 'jams, preserves and chutneys' book, which has an excellent selection, but she is rather vague on cooking times and setting points.

Any pointers appreciated!
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I love to make jams and chutneys from the glut of produce in my garden. However in the last couple of years I have failed to get any of my jam to set, so I am very nervous of making any more as the fruit will be spoiled. OH doesn't mind as he would prefer to make wine with it:rotfl:

I usually follow recipes in Marguerite Patten's 'jams, preserves and chutneys' book, which has an excellent selection, but she is rather vague on cooking times and setting points.

Any pointers appreciated!

Hello, there - I love the Gironde :j but I did get burnt the only time in my adult life at the Cote Sauvage :o

Are you testing for set, and if so, how :confused:

You may find your answer in The Complete Jam Collection.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family