Clutch pedal when starting car

Comments

• Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A lot of new cars are starting to do this for safety.

From the car's point of view, it's not a particularly good thing. It's true that it slightly reduces starter load, which used to matter with old starters, 6V batteries and gearbox oil like treacle, but with modern starters, 12V systems and much thinner oils it's not really a benefit - if our starter won't handle the extra load then there's a problem with it!

On the other hand, pressing the clutch puts a BIG thrust load on the crank-shaft. Basically, the clutch is trying to push the crankshaft out of the other end of the engine. What stops the crank moving is the thrust bearings, which are basically soft metal plates that it pushes against. Once the engine is running they're lubricated by oil being squirted between them and the crank but, at start-up, it's metal-to-metal contact.

So, putting a load on them at start-up may reduce wear on the starter very slightly, but it will also increase wear on the crank thrusts. Personally I'd rather end up replacing a starter than stripping an engine!
  • !!!!!! wrote: »
    I had an Opel Astra on hire in Spain last week and you had to depress the clutch to start.
    My Megane requires a foot on the brake.
    megane have clutch deprssion to start or brake pedal. if it wont start off the clutch the wires in the sensor have either snapped or the sensor itself is broken.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Vauxhall/Opels with electrical handbrakes require the clutch pedal to be pressed before they start. Trouble is that if you press the acceleratotr at the same time the handbrake releases!
  • thefishdude
    thefishdude Posts: 541 Forumite
    i allways press clucth but thats because i allways park and leave my car in gear, i was taught that way and my dad also does park in gear so them together and its ingrained in my soul. the only vechile i dont is the works 7.5tonne truck cause it wont start in gear it lock out the ignition even with clutch down.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    megane have clutch deprssion to start or brake pedal. if it wont start off the clutch the wires in the sensor have either snapped or the sensor itself is broken.
    Strange response! Both vehicles are starting as designed, either clutch or brake subject to vehicle. There are no faults with either.
    Both vehicles tell you what needs to be pressed.
  • chib
    chib Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I was taught by my instructor to depress the clutch before starting and always have done.

My last car (Toyota Auris) required the clutch to be depressed and my current car (VW Passat) does the same - it also needs the doors closed and seatbelts clicked in before the electronic handbrake will release automatically.
  • MoneySavingUser
    MoneySavingUser Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    chib wrote: »
    I was taught by my instructor to depress the clutch before starting and always have done.

My last car (Toyota Auris) required the clutch to be depressed and my current car (VW Passat) does the same - it also needs the doors closed and seatbelts clicked in before the electronic handbrake will release automatically.
    My Toyota Auris also (unsurprisingly!) needs the clutch to be pressed down
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I used to occasionally drive a company Freelander, that needed the clutch pedal depressed before the engine would start.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most manual cars with starter buttons require clutch down before they will start.
    The man without a signature.
  • OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    i always push the clutch pedal down when starting the car mainly out of habbit after almost 20 years habbits are hard to break....same as going down the box
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport