PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is the Average Grocery bill for a family of 3 ?

Comments

• booklover
    booklover Posts: 897
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    :hello:

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies.:T

Fiona
  • BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Oh, dear. We three are spending about £75 per week, and one of us is a toddler! Of course, diapers do cost something (going to try cloth nappies with this next one.) That's groceries and household supplies. That total actually doesn't include a medication I've been buying at £16 a week....

I buy little in the way of ready-made meals. I do buy the white sauce for lasagne and some condiments. I mean, I don't make all our own bramble jam (although I think I may try that next year...) Sure, I bake our bread, but that's not cheaper than the super-cheap supermarket stuff.

One limitation I have is that we live in a remote area. I can shop at Co-op and a couple of small shops. Tesco is an hour's drive away and not worth the petrol.
    :beer:
  • We are a family of three. ok one of us is only 2years old and probably doesnt quite eat as much as a 15yr old (he gives it a good go though). My food budget is £21 a week (£1 per person per day) but this is a bit silly and i usually spend £30-£35.
    Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
  • Hi Booklover, I posted a similar post recently as for me, my oh and little boy(8 months) and 2 teanage step daughters who come 1 or 2 says a week i was spending £80-100 a week. I have found this board really addicitve and got some great tips.

Your probably not as bad a cook as you think, your just probably used to using packets. I often shop at sainsburys (think M+S is just too expensive) but if you buy some of their own brand products they are still lots cheaper than the other brands.

We eat quite a bit of pasta (as its quick to make) and i used to buy bertolini sauce at £1.64 a jar and fresh pasta but I have been buying sainsburys own pasta sauces as they are only about 65p a jar and really nice - the tomatoe and chilli one is great with spagetti and meatballs. so you could maybe try something like this when you dont want to cook from scratch.

Also do you waste food? I am ashamed to admit that untill i started comming on here i was often buying more than we needed and ended up regularly throwing fruit and veg and other stuff that had gone out of date away.

Finally why dont you try to use up and stuff in your cupboards and freezer, if you like me you be surprisd just what you have. and maybe sign up to the october grocery challenge. I am using stuff up so have set a budget this month of just £200 rather than my usual £350-400.
    Good luck:D
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A few weeks ago, I bought some of the Debbie Meyer's EvertFresh Green Bags, and have found they really do keep food fresh longer. I tried it out with root veg, parsnips etc, even in the salad drawer in fridge, the parsnips and carrots went rubbery & wizened, but those in the bags stayed crisp. I have already saved the amount they cost by not having to throw out fruit and veg because we have not got round to eating it. Has anyone else tried them?
  • no but i might, where did you buy them from?
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My mum uses those fresh green bags. Says it keeps bananas from going off. Might have to get some. Lakeland do something like them, not sure if its the same.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Lakeland has something in their catalog for potatos - it's like a burlap bag. I'm so TIRED of my 'taters sprouting and going green on me! Unless we eat them every day, I don't see how I can buy them in sufficient quantities to be cost efficient.

Anyway, this thread is making me think I need to cut WAY DOWN on our grocery bill. Somehow....
    :beer:
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I don't have numbers yet, but pln on (as you all do!) spending as little as possible whilst still eating healthily. I think £30 to start with for two adullts and a 3 month old- for nappies, food, cleaning and grooming, etc.

BND, couldn't you do a big batch cook if you have the time and just leave enough potatoes that you know you'll eat before they go off? I know it's a !!!!!!, but then you have lots of prep work already done and fresh potatoes when

You could chip and parboil, ready for oven chips, mash, roast, etc

Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family