Mira Zest Shower - No hot water

Help, my shower first started spraying water from the control unit rather than the head. I turned off the shower's water supply and fused and got a replacement clip for the inside £4.99 instead of £200 new shower.

I now turn the shower on and the water comes out at a rate of knots! Really flowing out, the head hardly stays in the holder. Brilliant I thought a electric shower that is a power shower too. But there is no hot water ...

Do I need a new shower?
Thanks
Help me to help you :santa2:

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you got power coming to the shower. i.e. have you turned the circuit back on at the CU and at the isolator switch? With the shower off, is the pilot light illuminated on the isolator? Then switch the shower on and see if the RCD is tripping out straight away.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • thanks macman. I don't quite know what you mean, the electric shower only works when there is power going to it as I know when I pulled the switch above it the red light went off and the shower wouldn't work.

I have pulled the cord since and now the red light is on and water comes out but not hot.

What were the other checks? With the boiler did you think?
  • macman
    Forumite
    The boiler has nothing to do with your electric shower, it is cold fed from the rising main. You obviously have power to the isolator switch, do you have power to the shower itself, i.e. does a light come on on the control unit when you switch it on? The element may have gone, or a number of other things, possibly you may have damaged something when you replaced the part.
    I suggest you get a qualified electricain in to look at it.
  • damn I thought I'd saved £200 but guess things are never that easy!

There isn't a light on the unit only on the switch above it which is always on. Perhaps I damaged something as you say.
  • macman
    Forumite
    A new one should be about £100 depending on the power rating.
    With the water flowing, and the isolator on, what happens when you close the isolator?-the water flow should cease.
    Suggest you work your way through the fault finding chart in the manual:
    http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/images/zestinstallation.pdf
  • Value stops water supply. Knobs make no difference. Water supply must be ok due to the sheer pressure it is flowing out.
  • macman
    Forumite
    What do you mean by 'value stops water supply? You haven't answered the question-with power on at the isolator and the shower on at the control unit, what happens when you switch off at the isolator? Does the water flow cease?
  • That's weird, when I turned the isolator value to stop the water supply the shower returned to a more reasonable flow rate. I thought it was suppose to shut it off completely?
  • macman
    Forumite
    What do you mean by 'isolator value'? Do you mean 'isolator valve'? The isolator is the switch controlled by the pull cord, not a valve or knob on the control unit.
    Read the fault finder guide:,if water continues to flow with the isolator switch off, it indicates that the diaphragm has failed and the flow valve will require replacing.
    I suspect that the original leak has shorted out the internal circuitry or blown the element.
  • Sorry! The switch turned on then shower on then switch off does switch off the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport