Call from "UK Claims" - possible scam

Comments

• Thanks "Premier"... very interesting info.

Rebecca
  • I just got this call today, sounds jut like a call centre, but when I said "How could you know how much my bank chages are" he hung up.lol! So this seems to be still going on.
  • Just had a call from 'Lisa Adams' who had a very heavy Indian accent (call came up as International). She asked for me or hubby by name and said that they had received information from a Government department that someone at this address was entitled to compensation for a car accent they had within the last 3 years. I assured her that nobody in the house had suffered any type of car accident within the last 3 years. She was persistent telling me that it was a shunt type of accident whereupon I repeated that nobody had suffered an accident. When I asked where her company was based, she told me Wandsworth. She then said that the car accident was in 2008 and asked if we had recently moved in whereupon I told her that we were living here before 2008. Am concerned about the previous posts and the possible tie in with BT. We have been having a lot of problems with BT and have been on the phone regularly to their call centre in India, and have made payments by phone. Should we contact the bank and get them to replace our cards?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    said that they had received information from a Government department that someone at this address was entitled to compensation for a car accent they had within the last 3 years.

lie number 1 from them.
    Am concerned about the previous posts and the possible tie in with BT.

BT dont get involved in claims companies. This is just a random phone call trying it on.
    Should we contact the bank and get them to replace our cards?

Only if you have told this claims company your card details.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • UK Claims just rang me, regarding the car accident I didn't have (touch wood given the ice outside!).
    I told them I was busy and would ring them back - they gave me this no: 0800 169 3175.
    It was an Asian male on the phone.

I certainly won't be ringing them but I will happily have a big go at them if they ring me again. I've signed up to all the non-promotional calls/ faxes / mail banning things I can find but these are obviously way outside respect for any such scheme.
  • ukuwi
    ukuwi Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    As previous, UK Claims called. My name and address (not with BT) known by this Asian dude. I asked if he had inspected TPS register... "Ummmmm, I forgot..."
    I just hung up.

Look... why cannot anything be done?
    The telNo must be known by the comms co. they call from and there must be someway to determine comms co. ID.
    Lotta bright sparks about, so must be possible.

Looking at this thread is interesting but also futile as some appear to have info, but this is a forum... and not gonna help nuke these dudes is it?
  • kez321g wrote: »
    i was dontacted just a few minuts ago by " patricia" from uk claims, i highly doubt that this is her name as her accent was so strong i could bearly understand her.
    she gave me the same speach as all the other posts ..... you are entitled to claim at least £600..... ect. she provided an emploee id number 1901 and insisted i was gonna get some money for just filling in the paperwork and all they wanted was a "small admin payment" ... £79.00. she said she would not ask for my bank details but would read the details she had for me to comfirm.... she read out a number and i told her it was not my bank details as it happens i dont have a credit or debit card that she wanted me then to provide then she starts preassuring me to get someone else to let me use thier card i was bored by this point and told her to get lost as i didn't belive a word she had said and told her she should be ashamed of her behaviour .... end of call
    i hope who ever is behind this scam gets what is coming to them very soon
    the old saying if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is should be remembered.:D

Oh dear,
    I took call last night and through sheer complacency eventually submitted to 'Patricia'. Gave card no plus full no on back, and agreed to £84.99. Doh!

Cancelled card very early this morning and visited bank to see what I can do. She said I had agreed to transaction, all I can do is try ringing them to cancel.

Is that worth trying? Any ideas?

What a mug! :mad:
  • I too had a call from these people about 20 minutes ago. Same guff about having been told by Road Traffic Accident Management of an accident I had in the last three years that wasn't my fault and they could get compensation for me. When I asked the guy gave their address as 170 Garratt Lane, SW London. I couldn't recall ever having had an accident of any sort so I asked him lots of questions about it - he said I'd been hit on the side at a roundabout but he couldn't disclose the date because of the data protection rules! Eventually he got bored with my questions and put the phone down.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Claims companies are not allowed to take payment from you without providing their terms of service in writing first. It is a rule breach if they have. If that is the case you should put in a formal complaint to them demanding a refund and also complain to the ministry of justice. The MoJ are slow to react and are not a very good regulator but they rely on volume of complaints against companies. So, you complaint to them would help add up.

When a claims company says you are "entitled" to something, that is a lie. There is no entitlement. If you think you were mis-sold then you can put in a complaint and you may or may not get your complaint upheld.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of dodgy claims companies who are regulated by the MoJ but have no qualifications, experience or knowledge other than to telesales people to get up front payments of them and then vanish before they have to pay it back.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Just had a call (lady with an Indian accent) from the "United Kingdom Accident Helpline" (strange the caller ID said "International", then), claiming to be acting on info from the "Road Traffic Accident Bureau" that someone in my household had a minor acident in the past three years. Offered address of 170 Garratt Lane when asked, and a phone number of 0800 956 2811. Very persistent, though I said bluntly that they shouldn't be cold-calling me if it's a UK firm (we're on TPS), and this must be a scam. She still tried to tell me someone had had an accident (nope) and was due some compensation. From the reaction of this caller and the computer virus caller a couple of months ago to me telling them directly they're frauds, I begin to have a tiny tiny tiny bit of sympathy for the call-centre operatives themselves - I do believe they actually believe what they're telling you! Or am I just going soft in my old age :question:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure