What is EESA?

Comments

• HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    I think pretty much everyone has EESA, whatever stage they are in or group they are in! I have been in the Support Group for the past 12 months but have been getting 'EESA' right from the beginning of my claim.
  • Hello, I was trying to find this out myself. I found this page (clearly), and an FOI request explaining the additional 'E' as a superfluous error.

As a new user it appears I cannot give the link, but this is the relevant text:

"Freedom of Information Act - Request for Information
    Our Reference: FOI 2937

Thank you for your Freedom of Information request received on 25 June 2013. You
    asked:

“My partner and I are both disabled for different reasons and she claims for me, on her
    bank statement the classification says EESA not just ESA can you supply an
    explanation for the meaning of the EESA classification, does this mean it is CESA
    please explain the meaning of this, I searched the web and could not find anything
    clarifying this classification, and others seem just as confused”.

I can confirm that the EESA classification on your partner's bank statement does
    represent Employment Support Allowance (ESA). The additional 'E' is superfluous and
    does not mean anything. This was due to a misalignment of data during the final stages
    in the payment issuing process when payments of ESA by Automated Credit Transfer
    were introduced.

I appreciate that this may be confusing and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any queries about this letter please contact us quoting the reference number
    above.

Yours sincerely

CD Communications Team"
  • The EESA acronym is for Enhanced Employment and Support Allowance. The difference between this and basic 'ESA' is that EESA will include supplementary payments; for example it could include a componen for illness or disability related payments for those who under the previous scheme had received both Incapacity Benefit and Income Support. A number of people receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) were previously entitled to a 'gauranteed income support supplement' so this would be reflected in EESA too.
  • HB58
    HB58 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Sorry Necromancer, my own experience leads me to believe that TBmoneyname's answer is the correct one.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    HB58 wrote: »
    Sorry Necromancer, my own experience leads me to believe that TBmoneyname's answer is the correct one.

I agree as I had the same EESA and no supplementary payments.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Blaidd_Drwg
    Blaidd_Drwg Posts: 10 Forumite
    Here's my take on it. When I first applied for ESA it was the same amount as JSA. I was told that there was a 13 week assessment period during which they decide if you are eligible for ESA and what group you go into (work-related or support).

If you are placed in a group then your benefit will increase in relation to the amount payed by JSA. This is when EESA starts appearing on your account. Its not really a supplementary payment, just the amount you were supposed to get after the 13 week assessment period. But I guess its supplementary if you compare it to JSA.

I was told on the phone (DWP) that it stood for "Enhanced Employment and Support Allowance". But I'm guessing TBmoneyname is right in that they added the extra "E" simply to distinguish the payments from the pre-assessment payments
  • Hi, Newbie here. My bank account said on my first payment after being migrated to ESA. Esa JSA bgc. I had been put into WRAG group of ESA and sent in a mandatory notice as I felt I had been put in the wrong group. I should be in the support group. That was in February and have heard nothing since. However the following months payments now saY DWP EESA only after the amount. Does this mean the DWP have changed my group or that they are just stating that I get EESA. I believe the extra e is a mistake but it could mean enhanced.. I am so confused now. Other forums are talking about other letters on their bank statements too. Can anyone please clarify?

:rotfl::drool:
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    if you had been moved to the support group then your money would have increased.
    there is no time scale for them to consider a move from one group to the other ( it takes as long as it takes)
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    The extra 'E" in EESA is superflous and means absolutely nothing.
  • spingoblin
    spingoblin Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The extra 'E' is for Exterminate, as in "We'll Exterminate your ESA eventually".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure