Vodafone 1Gb No Expiry Sim

Options
If anyone can help I have a question regarding PAYG Mobile Broadband, and the Vodafone older option of the 1Gb version with no expiry.

I would like to have the option of mobile broadband on my Netbook when I am away from home, but know my usage will be very minimal and can't justify a monthly ongoing cost. The older Vodafone 1Gb with no expiry would be absolutely ideal for me.

I have noticed the Sim card for this (1Gb/no expiry) on ebay . Has anyone got any experience of this and whether you find you are suddenly on the newer 30 day limit when your 1Gb usage runs out and you go to top up?

As this is I Sim card only deal, I had thought about buying one of the newer versions (3Gb/30 Day expiry) in order to get the USB dongle to use with the older Sim card, but don't know if it will work and provide the ongoing 'no expiry' option. For the set up cost of both with a no expiry date, I feel this is worth it to me if used long term.
Can anyone advise if you can use the newer version USB dongle with the older Sim, and achieve the 'no expiry' equivalent?
I have read info. on Vodafone's own forum that suggest no and also yes.

Can anyone advise on the above?

Much appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't matter which dongle you use, as long as it is unlocked. Asda have the 3GB package for £20. So you can use that for the first month and then swap to the 1 GB SIM.

A 1GB SIM will stay a 1GB SIM.
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I bought one of these Vodafone Sims (with Dongle) direct from Vodafone last year and I've still got about £7 of my original £15. You get 1GB for £15, I think it's great for low data users, but you have to remember to use it every few months or it will be cut off.

I'm about to cut my Sim card down to fit into an iPad.

If you need a Dongle, I'd buy a PAYG Vodafone Dongle with Sim and just swop it for this 1GB Sim, you don't have to worry about unlocking
  • Donnie
    Options
    Actually it appears that the Vodafone 3GB package is also £20 direct from their website
  • minihaha
    Options
    I went ahead and bought one (1Gb/none-expiry), and an unlocked dongle.
    After a bit of searching for settings relevant to Vodafone I have just got it working.
    But....
    Can anyone advise how to check the credit that remains. I'd like to check that it is the 1Gb/no expiry version and also be able to monitor usage. I presume I will have to register the sim with Vodafone for this information, but the sim came with no details at all. I understand I can obtain the number for the sim by inserting it into a Vodafone mobile phone- I think I know someone using the Vodafone network, so this will be do-able.
    .... so presumably, then, I can register it and obtain account information.
    I noticed using the Mobile Partner software that installed from the unlocked Dongle it indicates as already registered. Some how, I don't think all is going to work out without complications.
    e.g.: if it has already been registered with a Pin No., I won't know the number.

Can any one give any advice ahead of what I think will be a frustrating process.

Thanks in advance
  • Donnie
    Options
    If you use Vodafone Mobile connection software, once you connect to the Internet it will show you your number. You can then register on the website. Doesn't show you how much you've used online. Just how much credit that you have left. As long as it doesn't disappear after a month you are in business. ;)

Lite Version(second download in the list) Remove the modem before and during installation.

Full version. Same instructions as above.

Disable the mobile connection manager that came with your dongle from starting up automatically. You can do so by installing CCleaner and going to Tools > Startup >
  • minihaha
    Options
    Thanks Donnie
    I will look at the option of downloading the software, as per your links.
    Fingers X'd, all will work out fine
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if the op question was answered?
    When you top up does it carry on with unlimited time?

I have one of these and do not want to set up a direct debit incase vodafone start taking it monthly. How can I top up PAYG? without card details being given.

Many thanks
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • GaryS
    GaryS Posts: 807 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2010 at 10:29AM
    Options
    "When you top up does it carry on with unlimited time?"

The top ups just continue until you have used all of your credit.

I have had a non-expiring Vodafone dongle for just over a year, and find it very good, I have used just over the £15.00 in that time.

Top up by voucher from any participating high street store.

Latest version of Vodafone software can be found below.

It says it does not support UK settings but I am using it without any problems.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/bus/public/enuk/support/10_productsupport/laptop_connectivity/40_software/software/10_latest/p_pc.jsp

[/FONT]
  • impulse
    impulse Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know where to get one of these sims from,doesnt seem to be any on ebay now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure