Job Seekers Allowance has Been Stopped

Hi
My son has been told that his JSA has been stopped. They DWP have said that he had not made enough effort to apply for a position which was offered to him. They first told him of this decision and the closing date of the job had not expired. He had applied for this position via post and it seems that it did not arrive. The first he new about this was when they said he had not applied. So he filled in the form to state this and applied again. I actually posted both of these for my son. Now they have stopped his JSA until September.

Thanks
Tina

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    TBH if the JSA are finding him positions to apply for then he's not trying hard enough in the first place. I've never heard of anyone ever having being told to apply for a job so he mustn't be trying very hard to find a job if its got to that point.

The thing is that there's plenty of work available but he has decided that he doesn't want to do certain jobs. That's fine but one of the terms of getting JSA is you apply for anything you're capable of doing after a certain period of time and that includes factory work and cleaners jobs and if you don't, you're not complying with the agreement so your money stops. If I were him, I'd be getting myself off to the agencies and signing up with them for some factory work.

Hell, you're in the West Midlands where there's a dearth of jobs, not in a town with a population of 11000 in one of the lowest population density counties in the UK like I am yet I can still find plenty of work so he has no excuse. There's tons of jobs and the only reason people are unemployed is because they've made decisions to ensure they are.

Personally, I'd like to congratulate the JSA for deciding not to perpetually fund someone who can't be arsed to go get a job.
  • tina1969
    tina1969 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. My son does apply for jobs and has had several interviews. I should have been a bit more detailed...sorry...he has had problems with an advisor who on one occasion actually swore at him and we had to put in a official complaint. this advisor gave him the job to apply for and mys on was not even signing on him with him...he came over to him with the job...Also they decided to put the doubt on my sons claim and the closing date for the job was still open...
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    I think there is an appeals process that he can go through.

Hopefully someone will come along shortly who can give you more information about this.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Your son will need to put in an appeal and provide proof that he has applied for jobs.

As for Conor's comments, there is not a dearth of jobs in the West Midlands, I have been unemployed since August 07 and have applied for over 200 jobs without getting an interview, my CV has been updated so I put it down to a) having a disability, b) my age and c) working in a University for 12 years - people think that I don't have transferrable skills which is poppycock.

Your son does need to try registering with agencies though for temporary and permanent work, also he could list his CV on Monster (although it does take a while to get a response on there but it does happen eventually). Another place to look, especially if he has access to the internet is a site called Fish4Jobs.

Good luck with the appeal and the job hunt.
  • ukdickie31
    ukdickie31 Posts: 522 Forumite
    How long has your son been on JSA ?
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Horace wrote: »
    Your son will need to put in an appeal and provide proof that he has applied for jobs.

As for Conor's comments, there is not a dearth of jobs in the West Midlands,

The Jobcentre Plus website lists plenty within 20 miles of Birmingham listed this last week.
    I have been unemployed since August 07 and have applied for over 200 jobs without getting an interview, my CV has been updated so I put it down to a) having a disability, b) my age and c) working in a University for 12 years - people think that I don't have transferrable skills which is poppycock.
    Excuses, excuses, excuses.
    Have you applied for the factory process worker vacancies that the agencies are advertising for? Only qualification required for those is having a pulse and they're always wanting people.

I can guarantee you I can find you work within a week or a fortnight at the outside. Everyone who has said to me they can't find a job I've found them work within a couple of days.

Here you go..

No previous experience necessary as training will be given. Duties to include working in a warehouse, washing crates, loading crates into a machine and ensuring crates are clean. This position is based in Curdworth and is temporary for 6 weeks possible moving to permanent for the correct candidate.

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0121 5533388 and asking for Patrick Sistrik.

Off you go then...
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Conor wrote: »
    The Jobcentre Plus website lists plenty within 20 miles of Birmingham listed this last week.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
    Have you applied for the factory process worker vacancies that the agencies are advertising for? Only qualification required for those is having a pulse and they're always wanting people.

I can guarantee you I can find you work within a week or a fortnight at the outside. Everyone who has said to me they can't find a job I've found them work within a couple of days.

Here you go..

No previous experience necessary as training will be given. Duties to include working in a warehouse, washing crates, loading crates into a machine and ensuring crates are clean. This position is based in Curdworth and is temporary for 6 weeks possible moving to permanent for the correct candidate.

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0121 5533388 and asking for Patrick Sistrik.

Off you go then...

Totally agree, everyone who wants a job can find one. My daughter did a paper round when she couldn't find anything else last summer. It wasn't much but it got her up in the morning.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    I agree, as long as you are not fussy there are plenty of jobs to be had. There are always warehouse, call centre, shop jobs going not to mention signing up with agencies.

Maybe he's being too choosy about what he will do, hopefully the shock of having no money may lead him to look a bit harder.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    at my work you can always tell the applicants on JSA there the ones who dont make an effort and are clearly disinterested in the vacancy.i think if a few more lost their JSA it would be the kick up the backside they need.
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    He needs to complete a GL24 available here. http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/gl24.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure