London Congestion Charge exemption for disabled people

2»

Comments

• bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the argument is that the person will be on DLA and most likely other benefits and therefore is as capable if not more than many other people to pay the congestion for a choice they have made

What choice would that be? The choice to be disabled or the choice to attend hospital appointments in Central London?

If they dont like it, go to the inconvenience of public transport.

What public transport? You can't get a wheelchair on the tube or trains, so that leaves buses, buses have one wheelchair seat, so if it's full you have to wait until a bus comes along with one free. Besides, a lot of bus drivers won't stop to let wheelchairs on because it might make them late. Even if by some miracle you get onto a bus the wheel chair seat is 9 times out of 10 full of prams, buggies or luggage, you then need to argue with half the people on the bus because they refuse to move there stuff. I suppose you could pay for all disabled people to go everywhere by taxi, but because of new regulations that that idiot Ken Livingstone bought in less disabled taxis are being built now than at any time in the last 10 years.

Basically the same decision everyone else makes and pays

That's all disabled people want, the same rights and choices as any other person, but we are a long long way from this becoming reality.

This country is far too accomodating to disabled folk, many of whom are complete chancers or work shy scum

That is a very sad point of view to take. I don't deny that there are some people that abuse the system, but does that mean that the system shouldn't be there for those who genuinely depend upon it? It is also very hard to fake physical disabilities to the point where you are entitled to many of these concessions. And trust me this country is far too unaccommodating of 'disabled folk' and by the sounds of it you are at the head of the queue. Why do you associate being disabled with being work shy? many disabled people work just like 'normal folk'.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • I'm all in favour of disabled people being treated equally to able-bodied people, and to that end, if they can afford to run a car, they should pay for parking and congestion charges.

What next - free petrol for Blue Badge holders?
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So what you're saying is we should means test everyone who is disabled, those who can afford to pay should pay all the extra costs that are associated with having a disability and those that can't afford it should get everything free.

How is that equality?

I'm not saying disabled people should be handed everything on a plate, but they shouldn't be out of pocket because of their disability. If their disability prevents them from working they should still be entitled to a decent standard of living, if they have problems with mobility they should be helped to become mobile, if they need care they should be cared for. I don't think it's too much to ask for in a civilised society, but unfortunately we are a long way from coming close to offering disabled people the help and support they need to become equal members of society in this country.

Regarding free petrol for disabled people, why not for essential trips such as frequent hospital visits? People on low incomes get reimbursed for travelling to routine hospital appointments, maybe once a year, disabled people don't get reimbursed for travelling to hospital appointments, even if they have to go every day.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • Daytona_nev
    Daytona_nev Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    I think the argument is that the person will be on DLA and most likely other benefits and therefore is as capable if not more than many other people to pay the congestion for a choice they have made

If they dont like it, go to the inconvenience of public transport

Basically the same decision everyone else makes and pays

This country is far too accomodating to disabled folk, many of whom are complete chancers or work shy scum

LinasPilibaitisisbatman, you really are pondlife!

And you have the audacity to call other people bigots.
  • pianeet
    pianeet Posts: 518 Forumite
    i think the problem here lies with generalisation of peoples disabilities,i no two extremely disabled people who run there own business's and work extremely long hours,i also know a lot more people who are quite able bodied but know how to play the system,(i know this is not a discussion on blue badges)
    but i believe in karma if you want to use a fake blue badge to deny genuine disabled people a parking place,as they say what goes around comes around.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Blimey, this went a bit berserk, didn't it?

For what it's worth, Although I am disabled I have worked all my life, except for a 2 gaps, when I had my son (contributing to the future population), and when my hip replacement went wrong, putting me in a wheelchair for a year, during which time I was unable to claim any benefits.

In my long career I have contributed a considerable amount to the coffers of this country (and continue to do so), paying my income tax and NI, plus, as I run a business, paying employer's NI too. I also collect tax for the government, as a VAT registered company.

If I used public transport,I would become extremely tired, unable to work effectively. It certainly wouldn't be safe for me to try to manage my young son on busses and trains.

I don't know if it is right for me to be excempt from the congestion charge or not. But while the entitlement is there, I'll claim it - anyone on this site would, surely?

Oh, and I'm very pleased to say that TFL returned my £10 cheque
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LinasPilibaitisisbatman, yep you are a total idiot.

My wife is registered disabled and has a blue badge. I have to drive her to the hospital 15 miles away three times a week, every week, for treatment. We have to pay to park there, and we don't claim any fuel allowance which apparently we can. When we go to London we pay the congestion charge etc.

What she won't do is use a disabled space if she is having one of her rare good days(ie she can walk a few hundred yards with support), because she says someone who really needs it can use it. But she will use one if she doesn't feel well etc, which of course she is entitled to.

What she doesn't want is some idiot with attitude saying she is a chancer or workshy scum.

I wouldn't want to wish her life on anyone but you really ought to think at least twice before posting such utter garbage. Karma will bite you in the end.
  • easy
    Bill, I guess Lina is lucky, in that she/he has no experience of real disability in her/his own family.

It's easy to make unpleasant, judgemental comments when you don't have a clue what you are actually talking about.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • Unfortunately from reading these and other forums there seems to be an alarming number of people like Linas who seem to think disability doesn't exist or that everyone is out to try and fleece the state. I sincerely hope that they don't need this help one day as they will soon see it is the state who are fleecing disabled people.

Bill, help towards travel costs for Hospital appointments is only available if you are on income support, it's not linked to your disability, so much for an NHS free at the point of use.
  • easy

And once again there is this idea that disabled people are coining it in with benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure