does a freeview box need an outside aerial

Hi, I had my outside aerial taken down because I am on cable and now someone has bought me a freeview box for christmas. Is there anyway of setting it up without an outside aerial please. Any help would be appreciated

thanks
jennifer
Jennifer

Comments

• MadCowMan
    MadCowMan Posts: 343 Forumite
    you can fit an aerial into your loft.
    other than that I understand most 'set-top'aerials just dont have enough gain to pick up a clear freeview signal. Unless you live right next to a transmitter that is....
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    It depends on how strong the signal is in your area. How far from the transmitter are you?

You might be lucky and get good reception with an indoor aerial but I think most locations need a decent rooftop or loft aerial.

Ask at a local TV shop. They should be able to advise you.
  • pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    was going to ditch Sky, but even my outside aerial wasnt good enough to pick up freeview in this area...so am stuck with Sky.
  • rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    was going to ditch Sky, but even my outside aerial wasnt good enough to pick up freeview in this area...so am stuck with Sky.
    You can always ditch your sky package, buy a cheap sat box and get a sky viewing card to pick up the free but encrypted channels. Lidl have these boxes occasionally for 30-40 quid and I think maplins sell them too. If sky don't want their box back, then it would be even cheaper. You don't get all of the terrestrial freeview channels tho.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm in a good signal area and operate two freeview boxes with just inside aerials at a fiver from Tesco.
  • theCapt
    theCapt Posts: 223 Forumite
    In short you don't need an outside aerial but you'll get a better reception if you do.

Also using a bigger aerial means you get a better reception.

A case of bigger is better.
    Scottish proverb - "Never drink whisky with water and never drink water without whisky"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Edinburgh Lass,I've just had a call from my daughter who has today arrived at her new base (Forces) and without a mains aerial to connect to, has had to use her indoor aerial and seemingly is unable to access Freeview with it. I've checked her postcode and she is in a good area, so maybe you can remember the name of the aerial you bought from Tesco? was it one that had been recommeded or was it luck ?.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Can't remember the name of it sorry but I had bought one and I know it cost a fiver then last year some time Tesco did a student pack which included a scart lead, the same aerial and a four gang extention cable and I bought that pack when it was reduced to something ridiculous like £2.50.

Good thing about Tesco is your daughter can buy an aerial and if it doesn't work she can take it back and they will refund.

But.... when I used a freeview box at the caravan I never got good reception where vans next to me did but I had a blinking great tree nearby so it could be that all indoor aerials will be the same for your daughter.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Apparently you still get all the Freeview channels using your Skybox, even after you have unsubscribed. This was posted by another MSEer several months ago but I have not tried it myself. Perhaps someone else can confirm this.
    I can't get Sky at the moment for some unknown reason........here in Ohio. Adverts every 7 minutes....can I go home now please?

Fruitcake

You Only Listen To Me When I'm Wrong
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There is so much confusion and misunderstanding about freeview ................

1. To pick up any terrestrial television you need an aerial.

2. The sort/size of aerial depends on the signal strength in your area. Can vary from a piece of "wet string" to a £100 high gain antenna.

3. At the moment you need a much better aerial for digital than you do for analogue. When analogue is switched off, the signal for digital will be increased. So the the aerial that you have now - which isn't good enough now - might be good enough then. (you couldn't make this up, could you ?)

4. Even though the web site says you are in a "good" area, that doesn't mean that YOU will get a good picture. All it needs it a building, a small hill or even some trees to be in the way .................

5. Talk to a local TV aerial installer - he will know the area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure