PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick daft question - can you freeze chopped onion?

I buy pre chopped onion from ASDA to make life easier when cooking (I work full time and time saving is a neccessity when I get home). Obviously it would be cheaper to buy onions whole, chop and freeze in bags for when I need.

BUT can you freeze onion?

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, but if I were you I'd open freeze them first before bagging them up. I speak from experience of having to chip bits away with a knife :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • weegie_2
    weegie_2 Posts: 312
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ta much moggins.

another daft question, which I should probably know. What's 'open' freeze?
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Spread all the bits out on a baking sheet so they don't stick together. When frozen tip them loose into a bag and put back in the freezer
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • weegie_2
    Forumite
    Thank you - thought that might be the way but wasn't too sure!

I'm so glad I'm using this thread now!

:-)
  • Sallys_Savings
    Sallys_Savings Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    I've never frozen onions before and think it would be a good idea ...any idea how long they are ok in the freezer for?

• getcarter
    getcarter Posts: 898
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    might be worth double bagging them as well, my freezer stinks of onions sometimes!
  • lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    weegie wrote:
    I buy pre chopped onion from ASDA to make life easier when cooking (I work full time and time saving is a neccessity when I get home). Obviously it would be cheaper to buy onions whole, chop and freeze in bags for when I need.

BUT can you freeze onion?

Well yes, as others have said, but just why?

But :eek:

Chopping an onion takes what? a minute? two minutes? It takes almost as long to get a bag of frozen onion out of the freezer and empty it into a pan as it does to chop some fresh. You can't genuinely be saying you don't have a couple of minutes in a day to chop an onion? I don't believe it for a second (or indeed a minute or two ;) ).

Not forgetting that by prechopping, freezing and then defrosting as required, you will be spending half as long again in all as you would just chopping it as required. And you don't destroy the cell structure either, so you will get better texture and less loss of nutrients when you cook them.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have arthritis in my fingers so I do chopping on good days. I always keep onion in the freezer. When pickling onions are in I peel a full bag and freeze them whole for roasting. No need to defrost, just put them in with the chicken or joint.
    When I freeze chopped onion, I freeze loosely in a large bag and shake a couple of times before it goes solid and never had any problems.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • d.o.o.g
    d.o.o.g Posts: 342 Forumite
    I think freezing the onion changes its flavour. The water molecules in it will burst when they freeze, releasing the flavour. That's why things like chilli and curry often taste better/stronger after freezing, because the same happens to fresh chilli, tomato etc.
  • weegie_2
    Forumite
    lister wrote:
    Well yes, as others have said, but just why?

But :eek:

Chopping an onion takes what? a minute? two minutes? It takes almost as long to get a bag of frozen onion out of the freezer and empty it into a pan as it does to chop some fresh. You can't genuinely be saying you don't have a couple of minutes in a day to chop an onion? I don't believe it for a second (or indeed a minute or two ;) ).

Not forgetting that by prechopping, freezing and then defrosting as required, you will be spending half as long again in all as you would just chopping it as required. And you don't destroy the cell structure either, so you will get better texture and less loss of nutrients when you cook them.

I've got two kids and work full time - and you want me to spare two mins? C'mon! There is not enough hours in the day for me! ;-)

Sure I have two mins. But if I need half an onion for a recipe and there is half left I can just chop, pop in freezer, take out on the moring when I am going to use it and when I come home it will be ready to use. 10 seconds max to open a bag.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure