PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should we get a building regulations cert - we're selling our house

We’ll be putting our house on the market soon and started filling in the HIP. There’s a question about any work we did and if we got planning permission and/or a building reg certificate. About six years ago, we got rid of a tiny bedroom and, in its place, we made the main bathroom bigger and put in an en suite in the back bedroom. We had good builders and the work was done without a hitch. I just called the council about this question in the HIP and they said we didn’t need planning permission but we should have had a building regs cert. They can come out and look at it and, if all is ok, give us a cert for a fee of about £250. My question is: do we really need to do this? Would this really hold a sale up? Our builder said it would pass, so wouldn’t a buyer’s surveyor see that and be ok with it?

Comments

• woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    You do need it yes.
    It should've been done at the time, regardless of what the builders said.

If the workmanship isn't correct (the things you can't see), you will have no comeback with the origianl builders.

Our builder said it would pass
    Of course he did.
    He wouldn't say his own work was not up to regualtion standards.
  • JoeAlonso
    JoeAlonso Posts: 92 Forumite
    Sorry to jump in on the thread but how do you go about getting a building regulation certificate and who do you get it from?
  • carmen_blue
    carmen_blue Posts: 42 Forumite
    i just called our council and spoke to someone about it.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    I would ask your solicitor.

It may be that this could be covered under an indemnity pilicy with the new owners so that any necessary enforcement work insisted under building regs ciould be covered PROVIDING noone notifies the council themselves. You didn't give your name and address when calling the councile I assume?

Alternatively go back to the original builders if they are still around and say you never got their building regs cert and see what they say?
  • carmen_blue
    Ahhh, that's an intereting point. No, I didn't give my name.

We still know the builders so I'll give them a call. Thanks!
  • headcoat
    headcoat Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get it! The builder should have known better than to do the work with applying and obtaining B Regs. I wouldn't touch a house that had works done without a certificate, because of future consequences and also if the builder didn't even know about this, makes you wonder if he know how to do the work.
  • housebuyer_abc
    housebuyer_abc Posts: 296 Forumite
    headcoat wrote: »
    Get it! The builder should have known better than to do the work with applying and obtaining B Regs. I wouldn't touch a house that had works done without a certificate, because of future consequences and also if the builder didn't even know about this, makes you wonder if he know how to do the work.

Definelty get one, we did a similar thing around about 5 years ago and when we came to sell it almost resulted in the whole chain falling apart because the buyers solicitor wouldn't proceed without it and the council couldn't get anyone out for ages.
    The proof that some people really are opinionated and ignorant

Originally Posted by naff123 viewpost.gif
    Long nosed Tory looking down upon everybody!
  • carmen_blue
    Thanks. My concern is that we put in a sink, toilet and bath. If they need to check ‘drainage’ (as their website says they do), how do they do this if it’s already built? Would they want to rip up the floor to check or is it enough to just check the drains/pipes on the external wall?
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    If they are doing it now then you will presumably need to comply with the latest regs not those of 6 years ago. Think they are quite hot on ventilation

Definitely try and get hold of that builder
  • carmen_blue
    Ventilation? Like in an extractor fan? We have one of those and a big window. My concern is the pipes - would they want to check that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure