holiday s whilst on jobseekers allowance?

my son is on jobseekers allowance and we would like to take him on holiday with us for a week...however we fly out on the day he is due to sign on...because he cant sign on does he lose his benefit for that week because he is unavailable for work,please help :confused:
:D voddyman

Comments

• Mango
    Mango Posts: 167 Forumite
    Yes - this happened to me last year - I was due to go on holiday and so the jobcentre cancelled my allowance. I think it even applies if you are out of your local area/the area you are looking for work in, but still in the UK? Could he ask that his sign-on date be changed but use an excuse (naughty I know)? This is what I did but then made the mistake of saying I was out the country that day!
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    If he says that Mango the Job Centre may think it's because he has got a job and needs to change his day..This is why Job Centres always frequently change signing on days every now and again.

Voddyman your son could say he has an interview set up for that day..
  • Mango
    That's a good point - hadn't thought of that!
  • Realist
    Realist Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You are allowed to go on holidays while receiving JSA. Inform the office and they will make arrangments for him to sign early.
  • Mango
    Really Realist? I was told by the jobcentre that I could not claim JSA while on holiday as during that time I could not be actively seeking work. :confused:
  • Kimberley
    Mango wrote:
    Really Realist? I was told by the jobcentre that I could not claim JSA while on holiday as during that time I could not be actively seeking work. :confused:

Your right Mango :rolleyes: When your claiming you have to be available for work at all times :beer:
  • voddyman
    voddyman Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    thanks to all that have replied...one further point to my question...will he just lose the week that he;s away or will he lose the whole 2weeks...i.e. till the next signing on date...thanks
    :D voddyman
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was told in May that I could go on holiday and still get paid as long as I was still actively seeking work, I made a sarcastic comment that I would look in the Bournemouth newspapers, and got the impression that was OK. Iwas told it was OK as long as I was in this country but could not go on holiday abroad or I would not be paid because I would be unavailable to start work straight away. I would just tell them you are going away somewhere in England, they said I would have to leave a contact Number in case a suitable job became available, as if they are looking at every job that comes in to match up to a certain person. I told them that was fine I would leave them my mobile number, which seemed to be accepable. Fortunately I found a job myself before my holiday. If they did ring I would have not answered it, because I would recognise the number, then say I must have missed the call, but it is highly unlikely to happen anyway.
  • Kimberley
    To be honest wouldn't they wonder how you can afford an holiday whilst claiming to be out of work :confused:
  • tiger
    tiger Posts: 293 Forumite
    a friend of mine works injobcentre and he informs me that you are allowed to go on holiday (he reckons about 2 weeks in a year) you need to tell the jobcentre plus if you are going abroad you may be asked how you gonna finance your trip. so as long as you sponsoring him that you should be fine. speak to the jobcentre. if they dont accept, talk to the manager (after all every one is entitled to holiday) goodluck and let us know the outcome.have nice trip
    are you thinking what iam thinking :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport