this is amazing!!!! thank you :) x
    :j:j:j
  • pyko
    pyko Posts: 2 Newbie
    That's very nice. Thanks!
  • helenstuff
    helenstuff Posts: 140 Forumite
    trotter09 wrote: »
    Any idea why lacuna is becoming fashionable? Or is it just one of those things?

A book called The Lacuna won the Orange Prize last year: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lacuna-Barbara-Kingsolver/dp/0571252672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299676851&sr=8-1#_
  • Wordsmith
    Wordsmith Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    If you like this sort of thing, you might be interested in Michael Quinion's web site (www.worldwidewords.org). He also has a weekly email newsletter.

(PS My username is nothing to do with the original poster's link - mere coincidence.)
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
  • Celia
    Celia Posts: 313 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Another good one is Freerice - but be warned - its addictive! http://www.freerice.com/
  • 7ten
    7ten Posts: 33 Forumite
    Brilliant. Vocab and expression are so dumbed down thesedays.
    My brain has since shrunk. Thank you for the link.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 27 July 2011 at 12:58PM
    Another good site for expanding your vocabulary is Free Rice - this is a GENUINE scheme where rice is donated to the hungry when you give a correct dictionary definition of a word. There are reports that this is a scam, but as far as I can determine, that is not true.
    I am a qualified literacy and numeracy tutor and used the original Free Rice game with my learners - they had great fun with it and it promoted a lot of discussion. Since then the site has expanded to include other activities - I had fun myself seeing how much German I remembered, many years after I lived there. freerice.com is the site - I'm not sure if I would be allowed to put a direct link up.

Oops someone else mentioned Free Rice as I was waxing lyrical. I went there ... and spent 20 minutes improving my vocab! It IS addictive!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • trotter09 wrote: »

You can sign up at Wordsmith.org to get an email Monday to Friday, each containing the definition of an uncommon word. Some words you will know, some will be new to you.

Amazing how rich the English language is. It's nice learning new words, but also nice when you get a word you know.
  • Another FANASTIC site is (I'm a new user so cant post links :( but google ''word dynamo''), you need to join but apart from the vocabulary games, there's quizzes on everything, capital cities, foreign languages etc. I'm writing my dissertation just now and the essay vocab has taught me at least 50 relevant words to use :)
    £1000 overdraft, at 0%.
    £15000 student loan (will be £15000 in 2017).

Assets- £2000 lent to parents.
  • gentleorange
    gentleorange Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Another FANASTIC site is (I'm a new user so cant post links :( but google ''word dynamo''), you need to join but apart from the vocabulary games, there's quizzes on everything, capital cities, foreign languages etc. I'm writing my dissertation just now and the essay vocab has taught me at least 50 relevant words to use :)

This one? http://dynamo.dictionary.com/placement/level

I like the vocab test!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family