How do I approach the subject of Sick Notes for ESA with my GP?

2»

Comments

• Thanks again DMG!

The GP stated that I shouldn't rush myself as there's no hurry in getting better but she feels these tablets will really work for me and I must promise her I'll take them and looked at my mother when saying this. I can't remember exactly what the name was but I think it started with an "E" or an "I"? honestly can't remember exactly as my mother has handed in the prescription to the pharmacy and is going to pick it up tommorow for me. I've noticed that I'll be worse off under the Employment and Support Allowance as my money is dropping from £133.50 (without DLA) Jobseekers Allowance per week to £105.50? Employment and Support Allowance but not to worry, I'll be just fine and as long as I know I have the support of the relevant professionals and my parents then I can concentrate on what really matters and that's getting well again. Do you know how long I have to hand in these medical certificates for if the GP decides that I'm not to return to work when we next meet? I'm waiting on my ESA claim pack coming through the post to sign and send away again with the Sick Note and as I say I've never dealt with anything like this before, all new to me. Take care and enjoy your evening :)

£105.50? mine took months and months for it to go up to this rate!

I started out on the basic which is £51.85 under 25's and £65.45 over 25's a week.

JSA at £133.50 a week? i thought it was similar to the ESA rate?

Or are you a couple?

I dont know much about benefits tbh just read your post and it seems a little high, but i may be wrong someone will correct me if i am :)
    Is a Bipolar bear :p
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You just take it steady and take each day as it comes.

Stay positive, we're all rooting for you.

Regards
    Annie
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    By the sounds of it, your GP is going to put together a 'get well soon' plan for you - and this includes taking the AD's.

Please consider them EJF - the way I look at it, if you had a bad chest infection then you would take some anti-biotics to aid the recovery. In my mind, I see AD's as the same - they are a valuable part of getting you back on your feet.

Modern AD's are much better than the old type - none of this 'space cadet' feeling!! And if there is any addiction (and it's a big IF) then normally it's 2-3 weeks of being weaned off and there isn't normally any nasty side effects.

I honestly would urge you to consider them. I'm afraid I don't know your condition inside and out (though I did Google a wee bit) but I am in the train of thought that the AD's help to balance the imbalance in your brain - get that serotonin going again!!!! And that can only be a good thing, right?

And between that and the counselling, the change will be enourmous :)

I echo McKneff - we are all rooting for you, Keep us posted and I am sure dmg won't mind me saying that she is fairly clued up on the ole mental health issues and I am sure she wouldn't mind you PMing her if need be (if she clears her inbox of course:p)

Take care and keep us posted x

(meant to say, on the 'relationship' section of here, there is a 'depression' thread and people seem to speak highly of it. Maybes you can have a wander over there and get some support - even reading but not joining in might help to not make you feel so isolated and despairing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure