Financial help for New Boiler???

Comments

• znbmum
    znbmum Posts: 10 Forumite
    There is a 5 year old and a baby to consider as well as the adults in the house.

I lived in a house without central heating for years, I hated it.

Don't sell your house, (not that you were going to with negative equity) go for monthly payments, get a new system!

It may be debt (so is a mortgage of course), but it's in a good cause.

Thanks... I've just checked with my gas provider, they can't do anything. Looks like British gas might so going to get them to come and assess our situation.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We all appreciate that there are children to consider but equally,children have been brought up for millennia in far far worse conditions and even today,children are brought up and survive in far far worse conditions in other countries.

The more you have heat,the more you get used to it and the more you need it. Its all about building up tolerance.

I'm not saying we should all have to exist in temps of -20 where long term exposure would indeed be hazardous but there is a happy medium somewhere.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • That's a sensible plan I think, get some heaters as a temporary measure and get an appointment with BG for a free assessment asap.

At least you will know what is required and whether you can afford it.

I hope you can get it sorted soon and that your family will be warm in the mean time.

:)
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,646
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sorry if my comment may be taken as unhelpful so i shall bow out of this one save for to say the era of cheap and indeed affordable energy is well and truly over and the only way that most of us will manage is to use what we have more efficiently or use less. No offence taken or meant BTW..just a different way of thinking.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • znbmum

Please let us know what happens and whether you find a solution that suits you.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 January 2013 at 12:16PM
    znbmum wrote: »
    I've been quoted a min of 3000.

My mother paid BG far more than that several years ago simply to replace an aged boiler and fit some room thermostats to existing radiators - and that with a grant of a few hundred pounds. If the whole system needs replacing that sounds like a much bigger job.

Have you considered storage heating? Electricity will cost more to run but the initial system is likely to be far cheaper to install and there is no paying for annual maintenance / safety checks.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you actually had someone out to look at the back boiler? Just because it’s a back boiler doesn’t mean that it can’t be repaired. As far as keeping beds warm, have you thought about getting an electric blanket or two? As far as baby goes, most people have the room too hot to begin with so it might be worth getting a room thermometer and adjusting the amount of clothes that baby has on accordingly.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Joyful wrote: »

The Green Deal is a joke! more here and here

"The whole point of the Green Deal is that households are meant to save money on their energy bills - but with rip off interest rates, hidden charges and penalty payments the Green Deal could end up costing people more than they save"

""With sky high interest rates like these it’s hard to see how the Green Deal will be anything other than a bad deal for the public."
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • The Eco part of Green deal will help you out. This will also be relevant to anyone in a energy deprived postcode area. This will be following on from the Warm front schemes etc.http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Find-a-grant/Green-Deal-and-ECO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure