Best places to live around Manchester?

2»

Comments

• lizimuffin wrote: »
    If you fancy coming over to the dark side:D, then the Bury area is nice. You have the tram system so it's easy to get into Manchester. It's a rural town, so you dont need to go very far to find yourself in the countryside, and they have a few colleges, and Bury council do a lot of adult learning courses.
    I've lived near Bury (Radcliffe) now for a few years and I love it, close enough to civilisation, but also close enough to the hills that you can get out and have a country walk.
    I also used to live near Macc (Poynton), and although it's very nice, I always found it very expensive and it quite a long journey from Macc to Manchester, I wouldn't class Macc as manchester, it's Cheshire, but like the other guys have said it's all up to personal choice.
    Happy hunting!!:D
    i agree with everything said here

i'm from bury but living in radcliffe now (although its more little lever than radcliffe where i am :rotfl:)
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • User_Bob
    User_Bob Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2010 at 4:11PM
    All good ideas, however you aslo need to be aware that there are a few different Local Authorities which cover Gtr. Manchester and different health / education authorities etc. with widely varying success rates:-
    Stockport
    Trafford
    Tameside
    Salford

etc.
  • Have you thought about Warrington? Smack bang inbetween Manchester and Liverpool and good motorway and rail links :)
  • i agree with everything said here

i'm from bury but living in radcliffe now (although its more little lever than radcliffe where i am :rotfl:)

I don't really know Little Lever! I really like Radcliffe though, yes it's a bit rough round the edges but the people are reall salt of the earth types, as someone said to me once, it's a town with a village atmosphere.
  • i agree with everything said here

I wonder how far you are from me?
    It`s certainly cheaper for property in the north of Manchester. I would expect to get no more than £170k for my house here between Bolton and Bury. it has 3 receptions, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms,garage,conservatory,gardens, etc(not trying to brag- just giving you an idea of what you can get for your money)
  • Maxonian wrote: »
    I live in Macc. I can recommend it! I wasn't born and brought up here, but have spent a happy 11years here....... PM me if you want any info......

Hello We are a family of 3, child is 9yrs. presently living in holland, we are planning in to move to England to open a yoga retreat center, can you suggest some place outside the city, good schools, also what do you think of standard of living in England, will manchester will be a good choice? thanks for your help.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have friends who have lived in Marple for years and they seem to like it. Plus another friend's daughter has just recently moved from Levenshulme to Marple Bridge. Lots of nice walks by the canal! It seems to be a community in its own rights plus you have Stockport for main shops etc
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • IrKirsty
    IrKirsty Posts: 66 Forumite
    danielley wrote: »
    Have you thought about Warrington? Smack bang inbetween Manchester and Liverpool and good motorway and rail links :)

don't do it! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport