Where to sell vinyl records?

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Im tending towards the bootsale Idea, we do need to realise some money fairly quickyl and I get the sesne that landing them on discogs might not be too swift?

Unless anyone can tell me any different - ie everythig sells within seconds LOL
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • if its instant money you need then take them to a 2nd hand record dealer/shop but you won't get anything like what you could make through discogs or on ebay (if they are rare/originals etc). Selling them at a car boot your not going to get anything more than 50p per record regardless of how rare they are.

Discogs is very good, I've sold loads of vinyl on there and have made some good money from it. Used to sell loads on ebay but over the last 12/18 months this market has dried up unless the 12"'s that your selling are wanted items. Buy a load of record mailers (just the mailer not the inserts as they push the cost of postage up) from ebay, make sure you get your postage right as you'll lose money if not. The most amount of time and effort is spent at the post office once you've sold your item but if can manage to spare an hour or so a day then you'll be fine.

Check out local record fairs aswell.

Like someone previous said rare drum and bass and classic house can fetch a good price, even if you don't sell on discogs go on there and see what other people are selling for.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try http://eil.com/

They buy and sell second hand records; and will buy a job lot.

Point out the more valueable ones to them when you call.
  • Before you think about selling them as a job lot, I would seriously consider going through them individually on discogs and checking how much people are selling them for.

Just to say aswell, those records on htfr wanted list are normally ones which you will sell quickly on discogs as they are sought after. Htfr offer you peanuts for them, and sell them on at a huge profit, you will lose out.
    If you have drum and bass records and older classic house (esp. breakbeat) then you need to sell them individually as you will never get their true value in a job lot. I find discogs turnaround quick as the people on there know what they want, I would definitely recommend that site.

Please please please don't sell your rarities at a boot sale, you would only lose out. I have sold several sought after dance vinyls for around 80 quid each, so I would seriously advise you to check their value before even contemplating a boot sale. Whilst I understand you need some cash quick, if you have some rare vinyl you get rid of quickly you could lose quite a bit of profit. I'm very passionate about dance vinyl records, I know what I'm looking for, and I have an idea of what will sell, I quite often buy job lots just for 1 record, and I more than make my money back.

If you need any help, please pm me I would be more than happy to help you out.
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does anyone know how discogsd operates.

If you are someone seeking a record - do you get an email or anything when the vinyl is listed by a seller, OR does it just work that buyers happen to browse & see it for sale?

Thanks for all your input, this is excellent. Aligurdie you might just hear from me via pm when we are ready to set a wheel in motion x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • I operate a record business dealing in just vinyl; its just a little operation but I love doing it so if anybody is interested I can give you a rough valuatuion via email for records you have. Please dont deluge me with huge lists but if it helps you out I dont mind, taking the time to tell you if you are suitting on a fortune, or not!
    Please note that all price guides work on MINT condition....this is very rare to come accross so please take with a pinch of salt prices you find in guides.
  • lynzpower wrote: »
    Does anyone know how discogsd operates.

If you are someone seeking a record - do you get an email or anything when the vinyl is listed by a seller, OR does it just work that buyers happen to browse & see it for sale?

Thanks for all your input, this is excellent. Aligurdie you might just hear from me via pm when we are ready to set a wheel in motion x

No problem, would be happy to help out :D

Discogs is a huge database which users have built up. Registered users register their wants, along with whats in their collection, and I think they do get an email when a vinyl on their want list is listed. If someone does go on that site to browse then they can register too if they want to buy something.

To be fair though, alot of people on there know what they're looking for. Alot of my dj friends use that site to find vinyls with obscure mixes on which you don't seem to be able to find anywhere else. Someone did mention earlier about condition of vinyl. Yes thats relatively important when it comes to pricing it up, but if they play fine without any sound interference, then you should still get a fair price on discogs. There is a drop down menu for vinyl condition and sleeve condition when listing.
    96 items decluttered so far in 2013 :)
  • Hi Andy

I may be contacting you! Our LPs were probably only played two or three times as we have sprung floorboards. DH used to listen, select and then tape. A lot of his albums we have subsequently replaced as CDs.

Most of our stuff is from the early 70s - Led Zep, Crosbie, Stills & Young etc. Some Beatles and Stones stuff. Should we point out to our kids that these are worth money when we snuff it?????

We do have 60s stuff in the loft, Beatles, Stones, Motown etc but scratched to bits from those flat parties!

GB
  • Hi, Have you tried 991.com? You e-mail them details of the vinyl that you have and they e-mail you back with a price that they would pay you. If you don't think it's enough then you don't go any further with it. I think they do mark up the prices quite a bit for resale, but it just depends on how much you want for them.

I've never sold anything through them, but have had a good browse through the website.
  • Morning all,

I've just sold a couple of 12" on Discogs in the last few days. Relatively stress free to be honest.

Selling them for an average of £3 per record. Hope fully in time, I'll have the money to get my iPhone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure