Difficulties with co-executor of will

Options

Comments

• mike88
    mike88 Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2011 at 11:18PM
    Options
    Your grandfather's estate is comprised of his assets on the date of death. He trusted you (not your brother) to pay relevant expenses. Your brother has no right to question how you spent this money as that was an arrangement solely between you and your grandfather. In other words what happened prior to your grandfather's death has absolutely nothing to do with him.

Arguably the balance (ie the £20000 less expenses) would form part of his estate as that technically belonged to your grandfather as it was not a gift to you purely a float for you to deal with his expenses. So, if you tell your brother the amount left after paying your grandfather's expenses that is all he has the right to know. He can like it or lump it but that is the position.

There are potentially other issues however. Did the act of giving you the money for his expenses in any way affect his benefits and if the money is to be treated as a gift as some may have suggested that should have been declared as part of the Probate process?
    Take my advice at your peril.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really think that unless you can account for almost every pound spent on behalf of your GF to your brother's satisfaction, you should take the stance that the money is in your name and you don't need to explain yourself to him. This was an arrangement between you and your GF. There is no legal position for this money to be accounted for as part of the estate.

If you start trying to account for it and can't explain it all, this could drag on for years.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    ....you should take the stance that the money is in your name and you don't need to explain yourself to him.
    Yes, but it is the OPs brother, I'm sure the OP would quite like to continue having a brotherly relationship with him after all this is resolved.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Loughton_Monkey Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    edited 24 January 2011 at 1:10AM
    Options
    I can only believe that the 'technical' answer to this is as follows:

1. The money was not yours (as you admit) since it was passed to you to 'look after'. The fact that it was invested in your name is not a big issue - further proven by your disclosure.
    2. It is the legal duty of executors to trace the entire estate. You have disclosed freely that of the £20K passed over, and you declare that £10K is left, but have no audit trail.
    3. Assuming all other assets have been traced satisfactorily, it remains for the joint executors to satisfy themselves to all reasonable limits that £10K is the legitimate remaining total - and that there is not another £10K (possibly some interest) hiding away somewhere.

And now the 'practical' situation as I see it.

As executors, you should keep the documentation of how the estate was valued and distributed. I believe that a 'ball park' reconciliation is surely possible? Copies of statements. You gave £5K (plus) away. Surely you know to whom, and the recipients can confirm this in a note? And surely you can remember (or guess) in fairly round figures how the money might have been spent.

So why not attempt to write down a form of reconciliation - rough dates and amounts - that would balance to the amount you have remaining. It is only common snese (and good administration), after doing all of that to the best of your ability, to finish with a signed statement.

"I, F W Open, declare that Grandfather Open asked me to look after £20K and to make various disbursements, which have been documented roughly. I confirm that all documentation has been destroyed, but also confirm that the amount of £10,XXX [exact amount left] is the complete value of funds remaining, and that all other funds, and interest, have been spent entirely at the instructions of.... or for payment of.... solely in connection with G/Father..."

I don't think anyone could criticise a will completed in this way.

Of course that is not to say that people who know about this (including your brother) won't have a perfect right to be 'suspicious'. But you know that. And the level of suspicion can be minimised if you can reconstruct at least some of the audit trail, which will obviously help to dampen suspicion about the others, as long as they look 'reasonable'.

I have done similar myself, although in my case I am passionate about documentation and can prove anything. [My father - quite illogically - had very little savings but was paranoid that his pension would be cut down if they found this £500! I invested it in my own name, in a high interest passbook account and of course, on his death, told my brother about it, put it into the estate along with the passbook in the 'documents'. I am also looking after a rather substantial sum for another relative currently. The reasons are not similar. But relates merely to the fact that this relative cannot/does not use the Internet. Thus we have set up Internet accounts [U]in his name[/U] and in both cases, money can only be transferred to/from his [U]current[/U] account - which is not an Interent account and I cannot access it. So it remains officially and firmly 'his' money, but I do the 'Internet Management' on his behalf. Not illegal (as far as I know), and of course I keep printed audit trails/statments etc.]
  • Feelingwideopen
    Options
    Thanks for everything posted so far.

I think I need to get to the bottom of my brother's fears. Perhaps he thinks I've misappropriated funds. Perhaps he's concerned that other beneficiaries may cry foul and expose him to blame as executor (as well as me).

It's a totally unexpected situation. I didn't see it coming although I really should have thought about it more clearly at the time.

I think the rough reconstruction is probably the way forwards but would welcome any other views. It's gonna be a nightmare.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been there! The voice of experience says it may not be the brother himself, but some solicitor friend who has prompted him to be over-zealous.

I can't see that statements will prove much. Even if you find the original statement showing £20,000 paid in, it doesn't prove you didn't have other money that you paid into a different account.

Surely what might be easier to prove is where the money went, outside all the various bank transfers? Even if you haven't kept the care-home bills, you can find out what the charges would have been. Make a list of all the expenses, put estimates are actuals where known, document where you can, and see if it adds up to £10,000.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Yes, but it is the OPs brother, I'm sure the OP would quite like to continue having a brotherly relationship with him after all this is resolved.

This cuts both ways. If the brother can't accept that Feeling has spent the money honestly and entirely for their GF's benefit and is insisting that every penny is accounted for retrospectively when the money isn't even part of the estate, I can't see that he will be satisfied by any audit trail produced.

As the money has been moved around between accounts, Feeling says that his brother will have to be given access to his own personal spending in order to see what's happened to it. This is taking things too far in order to account for money that isn't even part of the estate.

All the executors need to show is that £20k was given to Feeling x years ago. As there are no IHT or benefit implications relating to the gift, their obligations stop there.
  • mike88
    Options
    Any money spent prior to death has absolutely nothing to do with the brother. It was an arrangement specifically made between the parties involved. Any money spent prior to death does not need to be accounted for. The responses here have become unnecessarily complicated.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The OP said:

"My Grandfather gave me £20k to “look after” for him "

That's either a loan or a trust. Either way it's an asset belonging to the GF which the executors have a duty to trace and account for.
    If the GF had put the money in a savings account but the institution was now proving cagey about releasing details or returning all the money, wouldn't the executors be right to chase it?

In principle the brother is absolutely right, but it's not very brotherly or trusting. But even so, it can't be difficult to compile a list that accounts for the expenditure.
  • mike88
    Options
    The OP said:

"My Grandfather gave me £20k to “look after” for him "

That's either a loan or a trust. Either way it's an asset belonging to the GF which the executors have a duty to trace and account for.

If that was the case you would be correct. But its not. You omitted the fact that she was given the money to pay bills and to make gifts all prior to death. Its only the balance remaining that forms part of the estate but she is required to note any gifts given within the last 7 years as part of the IR205 which accompanies the Probate application and the R27 Form which completes the executors duties. However, any money used for her grandfather's EXPENSES prior to death is nothing to do with anyone except the grandfather and her grandaughter.

All along I have presumed the original poster would know who had been gifted money and for that she does not require bank details but needs to note the amounts given on the above mentioned forms. If the brother does not believe his sister then he needs to check with the recipients.

Why are the replies so complicated?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family