How do I find out about a deceased relatives will / estate?

I may have put this in the wrong place, sorry if I have.

Just watching Heir hunters made me think about a relative who died several years ago.

I suspect that I and some of my cousins may have been entitled to inherit from this estate.

I think that the relative in question probably died either without a will or with an outdated one (In that I believe that the main banefactor of the will had already died), and I also believe that someone in particular may have mislead solicitors into believeng that they are the sole heir to the estate.

Does anyone know how I find out about my deceased relatives estate and whther or not a will was left?

Comments

• http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

All the info you need is here. I have sent away for copies of several wills in connection with family history research and have always had a good prompt service.

Please post again if you would like any specific assistance.

Good luck

Mrs P P
    "Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
  • MrsX_2
    MrsX_2 Posts: 126 Forumite
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

All the info you need is here. I have sent away for copies of several wills in connection with family history research and have always had a good prompt service.

Please post again if you would like any specific assistance.

Good luck

Mrs P P

Thank you so much, Just what I needed to know, I've just printed the form off. It will b worth the fee just for peace of mind.
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Hi, i have been thinking about this recently too, i'm glad i found your post.

My last grandparent died in 2004. I have a feeling that the will was written years before i was born anyway. I am estranged from my parents so if i was left something i would not have been informed. If it turns out that i was left something, am i right in thinking that i'm too late to claim anyway? x
  • A properly written Will should make allowance for more children or grandchildren being born, to save the expense of regular updates. Also executors have an obligation to locate beneficiaries and if they fail to do so, they could potentially be sued for negligence.

Also sometimes money goes on deposit pending a beneficiary coming to light, so either way you might get your money, if you were entitled to anything in the first place.

Hence the old maxim - where there's a Will, there's a row!

Mrs P P
    "Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Thanks Mrs P. I am completely new to this Will mularky, i really don't have a clue! x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    its different in Scotland --we had to go to the sherriff court -god knows why !
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    its different in Scotland --we had to go to the sherriff court -god knows why !

The law in Scotland is quite different to England and Wales. It is more like the French system - it isn't possible to write children out of the will. On the death of a parent the children are entitled to their share straight away.

Wills do not go out of date. As said before they are usually written with built in flexibility in case chief beneficiaries die before the will maker.

Adoptive children become children of the family and even if a grandparent isn't happy about the adoption they would have to write the child out specifically - referring to 'grandchildren' would include the adoptive child.

If you ring the probate advice office they will give you the answers to any problems you may have about wills or intestacy.

I have known of someone who died intestate and when the blood relatives turned up to claim the money the Crown gave a substantial part of the estate to a person who had been a devoted carer of the deceased person for many years.

Families can be so awful - I speak from experience. I cared for my mother for years - my sister had no contact for more than 15 years. I got my mother to make a will when she took out a Power of Attorney. Thank goodness I did. My mum left about three possessions, and there was not enough money to pay for the funeral. The police had to find my sister - and guess what - her hand was out for what mum had left. Thank goodness for that very cheaply made will.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    moanymoany wrote: »
    ....Wills do not go out of date........

But they do become invalid on marriage or divorce.

For example, I made a will when I got divorced 7 years ago - when I marry my DF, I will need to make / have made a new will to reflect my change of legal status and to ensure that my wishes are carried out (and to be confident that my 2 sons don't try to kick DF out of our home for their share!)
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    floss2 wrote: »
    But they do become invalid on marriage or divorce.

For example, I made a will when I got divorced 7 years ago - when I marry my DF, I will need to make / have made a new will to reflect my change of legal status and to ensure that my wishes are carried out (and to be confident that my 2 sons don't try to kick DF out of our home for their share!)

Absolutely.

People often say they don't have enough money to leave a will. A will makes life for the person who has to deal with all the wretched bits and pieces so much easier. It is not always necessary to go to probate - just showing a copy to the bank will enable the person dealing with it to sort out financial things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure