Student Loans & Carers Allowance advice please?

Options
Hi there...
I will be starting University this September and am currently in receipt of Carers allowance for my disabled child...will I loose my CA? Is there anything I can apply for funding wise? I will be on campus approximately 12 hours per week but it is still classed as a full-time degree...

Our earnings as a couple are under £25,000 but the loss of the CA will be huge to us as I will be paying out on transport costs back and to from Uni.... (am over 25 so rail card is out of the window!) Any advice greatly appreciated...a rough estimate from the student loan people puts me at getting around £5000 per year...but this will hardly cover my rail costs let alone books etc ......

Comments

• crystaltipps
    Options
    Just to mention, you can have the Railcard but it isn't useable before 10am I think. Which is a pain for me too as most of my lectures start at either nine or ten am!
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • crystaltipps
    Options
    Also, £5000 seems a bit low for a full time undergraduate course. Have you enquired about Parents Learning Allowance? I get it, but I am a lone parent - not sure about the rules for it. You should also get 25% off your council tax bill.
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • lisa27_2
    Options
    I am in the same position as you and my course is 19 hours per week.
    As I understand it you need to be studying for 21 hours or over to lose your entitlement to carers allowance so I wouldn't worry about losing it.

I have similar household income and am getting about 6000 student loan/grant with no entitlement to childcare or parents learning allowance.
    hope this helps
  • millym
    millym Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    HI, not sure what you are going to be studying, but have you considered doing your degree with the OU? If the degree you're interested in is available with them, it could prove to be a much more practical option for you in your circumstances, as no need to go to lectures etc, and, no need to take on a student loan. Just a thought...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure