How much does it cost to keep a cat?

We are thinking of getting a Kitten/Cat and I wondered if all you cat lovers out there could give me the in's and out's of Insurance, Worming Tablets, Vet Bills, Flea Collars etc etc etc :eek:

Thanks in Advance

Rachel

Comments

• zincoxide
    zincoxide Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Rach:

We have 2 cats, older ladies at the age of 9.

In total here is what we spend:

£20 a month on cat litter (we have indoor cats, obviously outdoor cats use much less)
    £30 on cat food, we get Science Plan biscuits which are expensive and also buy pouches from Tesco (whatever is on special offer and use the discount codes from this board via tesco.com)
    Cat insurance is generally between £6 - £14pm depending on the age and breed of cat.
    Worming tablets/flea treatments are normally only £5-£10 every 3 months.

So on average for our two cats, we spend £70pm.

I reckon a budget of around £40 a month should be sufficient.
    Treat others as you would like to be treated :A
  • SkippyB
    SkippyB Posts: 99 Forumite
    Zincoxide....

Have you tried using wood pellet cat litter....we have 2 x indoor cats and we use a bag every 5-7 weeks and it costs us £9.99 a bag....works out at a big saving over the year and also the smell is better and it is easier to clean and tidy out.....we moved our giys from normal cat litter to this stuff and they love it!!

Also...indoor cats only need to be wormed twice a year which should save you some cash (provided that they dont have contact with outdoor animals)....and I find that as my 2 never go out they havent had to be deflea'd since they had an intial course of frontline as Kittens.......(again they dont have any contact with outdoor animals).....

I still get their yearly innox done as you can never be sure that they wont escape!!

Rach...I agree with Zinc Oxide...cost will vary depending on how often you treat them....what you feed them and if they are indoor or outdoor....but the cost is well worth it...

Try and get a cat/kitten from a rescue centre as there are so many unwanted animals out there (especially older cats who need that little extra care and love from an owner)!!

Good Luck.......
    Happy to be Debt Free!!!
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Cost me a about £3-£4 at most a week for our cat, it could be cheaper if I bought cat meat in tins than the plastic pouches.

I buy bogof tuna at Morrions and he loves that so when I give him that he doesnt have the plastic pouche meat.

Also I pay to get him an injection per annum, cant remember how much eactly probably around £25 for cat flue and other things, and he goes into cattery once a year and thats about £3 per day for 7-8 days.
  • Ember999
    Ember999 Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got three cats whom I adore and who are very spoilt. I buy 24 can of Whiskas from Makro which costs me about a tenner every fortnight. I also buy a 3kg bag of Iams every couple of weeks. Doesn't seem to work out to cost very much on the actual cat food. I also feed them prawns (frozen so cheaper) and Nash the kitten loves roast beef so I buy him 100g every time I go to the supermarket. It's his treat :p

Nash is insured with Marks & Spencers insurance at a cost of £65 for the year (no excess)

Injections once a year cost about £50 per cat. Varies from vet to vet.

I buy 'spot-on' de-flea stuff from vets, that's expensive at £13 for 3 vials.

To be honest with you, looking after a cat or several like I do, doesn't cost very much at all really. They adore scraps from your dinner so their diet can be supplemented quite cheaply. I buy prawns when they are on 'buy one, get one free' etc...keeps the cost down. But I love my cats so much I would go out cleaning if ever I needed to to feed them etc.

Cats give so much love, hope you enjoy being a cat owner should you decide to proceed. Give the Cats Protection League a try, I got my little Nash as a kitten from a rescue centre and he is gorgeous, intelligent, loving, inquisitive etc...I couldn't wish for a more adorable little kitten :A Edit: strike the word 'little' LOL he's actually almost 8 months old now and quite big, he eats so much lol
    ~What you send out comes back to thee thricefold!~
    ~
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Our cat is a domestic shorthaired and he's 14 years old. He also has the run of the house and he has a cat flap so he can come in and out as he pleases. I spend about £3.50 - £4 a week on cat food. Sainsburys and Lidls own brand costs 34p a tin but my cat prefers Whiskers or Felix at about 50p a tin. In summer we buy biscuits which are about 90p per small box. We've tried buying the bigger boxes but I think the biscuits go stale before he has finished the box and he won't touch them. We spend about £5 a month on flea treatment. We buy Frontline from the vet - it's the only one we have found that works and its so easy to apply - just a small amount of liquid on the neck. We only worm him if he goes hunting. They were about £3.50 from the vet - again we found they were the only ones that worked. Worming tablets only kill the worms in the system they are not a preventative measure so we used to get through about 3 tablets a month when he was younger and hunted on a daily basis. I recommend insurance as our cat was run over twice (2nd time on Christmas Day) and the vet bill came to about £700 in total. That was 12 years ago - so it would probably be much higher now. He presently needs a tooth out and that will come to just over £100. He also has an annual check up and innoculations that come to about £40-£50. He also gets through about 3 reflective collars a year at about £3 each. When we first got our cat we bought food and water bowls, cat basket, cat flap and litter tray and litter. We also bought toys and scratching post but these are optional. Despite the cost we get alot of pleasure and companionship from our cat. He's part of the family and we love him to bits.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I love cats. I had an adopted stray for a few years. He adopted me. Dead now, was sad that.
    Happy chappy
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My cat is probably one of the cheapest around and thats not because I am a miser, its because she likes cheap stuff (yup - she's a bit crazy - I offer the most expensive foods and she turns her nose up, but gets all excited over a box of go-cat). She will only eat dry food (leaves wet foods untouched to go off) and will only have value litter (she must like the scratchiness??) from tesco. Ive tried special treats, cat milk etc and still she ignores them in favour of dry biscuits and water (I do buy bottled though as I feel she needs some luxury!) Ive tried everything expensive to no avail!

Her insurance is through marks and spencer at £4.93 per month, costs about £5.00 a month in food and about £3.00 in litter. Flea spray and 6 vials of the stuff from the vets is around £40 for 6 months supply, and her annual jabs is £25. She doesnt like the toys I buy, prefering the corks from wine bottles, paper balls and sticks, but also likes the free mouse from felix pouch people (but didnt like the one I bought for her).

In all, a wierdly cheap cat, and the vet says she is in perfect health so we must be doing something right!

Jo xx

I forgot to mention that as my cat is so cheap, I make a donation to the cats protection league every month so I technically spend more on cats per month than I originally thought!
    #KiamaHouse
  • My 3 cats on average cost me £40 a month to feed because of their special diets (they will only eat purina gourmet gold). Cat litter for 3 house cats sets me back on average £10.00 per month I've found tesco value litter to be the most cost effective and ameniable to the felines. On top of that vet's bills well 2 of mine have existing conditions which are uninsurable, but as luck would have it Mum is a vet nurse so medication and operations for me are at cost price, but for a dental extraction on my Tom i was quoted £330.00 price paid £80.00. Please only insure your puss with Marks and Spencers as they are the best they have never turned down a claim made by my Mum on behalf of clients. As she says they are the best, I suppose to de-flea and de-worm my kitts it normally averages about £10.00 per month on the 3. Cats are a lovely pet to keep I would be lost without mine, If your in the Essex, Suffolk area please PM me as my Mum is a fosterer for loads of charities as am I, if you've got any further queries again PM me as I'm sure if I can't answer it good old Mum will do.
  • I spend roughly £4 or £5 per week on food (Go Cat and Whiskas pouches) and cat litter (Catsan).

One cost you may want to bear in mind is neutering. It cost me £50 pounds for my cat. If you home your cat from a rescue centre they will have done this, but will look for a donation from you. I don't have insurance, but put away money per month until I had built up a vet bill fund.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    We have 7 cats, who get through 6 tins of Whiskas a day between them = £85/month from Costco. We won't give them dried food since one nearly died last year with a blocked bladder thanks to Iams.

Insurance from Direct Line is £38/month for the lot, and they've always been brilliant - every time we've needed to claim they've settled directly with our vet, and they don't stop the cover once the cat reaches a certain age. Injections for them all once a year = actually I'm not sure, £300ish (£40 each)? Our insurance won't cover any dental treatment so we put aside money to cover that; had to pay £250 for one of them last year for gum disease and manky tooth removal.

Frontline is expensive in the summer for them all (£20-30/month total), but not in the winter. Deworming doesn't cost much at all.

We don't use collars on any of our cats as they're all outdoor cats and I'd hate for them to get them caught somewhere and strangle themselves. We also don't have a litter tray (cat flap instead) so obviously don't have to pay for that.

I would endorse always neutering a cat; if you get a rescue cat, they're often already neutered, vaccinated, dewormed etc. If you can avoid it, don't get one from a pet shop; it only encourages the breeders and the kittens are often ill. We rescued a tiny ginger kitten from a pet shop a few years back and he died at 10 weeks :( Our no. 5 is from a pet shop (again, couldn't bear to leave her there) but she is traumatised and a very nervous cat thanks to her experiences there.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure