MeterPlus want to change my meter, I'm a non-Npower customer??

I received a letter today saying that Meterplus are coming to change my meter. I notice on the letter it says NPower at the top. I am a former Npower customer, but have been with another provider for the past 2 months.

Im a bit miffed, as this will be inconvienient and involved waiting in all day and taking time off work! The meter isnt a prepay one - just a normal meter.

Do I have to have this changed? Can anyone advise please? :confused:

Comments

• Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This happened to my mum when she switched from Scottish Power to Scottish Gas. When she switched to SG, SP sent someone out to change the meter to a key meter. I would phone NPower to confirm you aren't their customer any longer and that you don't wish a new meter.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Your meter may just need to be changed due to it reaching the end of it's service life. i.e. nothing to do with your supplier. If you look carefully, you should see a date or date code on it somewhere.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • dellxps
    dellxps Posts: 251 Forumite
    It doesn't matter who your supplier is. Meterplus are most likely the Meter Operator in your area (the people who own your meter) and your meter has most likely come to the end of its certified life.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    Take the reading of the old and new meters on the change day. This will help to sort confusion later
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • just came across this thread, basically meter plus who are authourized to fit meters in your area (regardless of supplier) are owned by npower
  • I have just changed to E-on as my dual supplier. E-on Energy Services insisted on replacing the existing elec meter [which was installed when the house was built in Sep 2001] on 17th Sep. The recorded average daily consumption since then is 12.93 units compared to 9.92 units in 2006 & 7.64 units in 2007. We have gas central heating & a gas hob & have not added any electrical appliances or changed our lifestyle. Does anyone know the normal lifespan of an elec. meter? Am I being unduly paranoid?
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    Retired wrote: »
    I have just changed to E-on as my dual supplier. E-on Energy Services insisted on replacing the existing elec meter [which was installed when the house was built in Sep 2001] on 17th Sep. The recorded average daily consumption since then is 12.93 units compared to 9.92 units in 2006 & 7.64 units in 2007. We have gas central heating & a gas hob & have not added any electrical appliances or changed our lifestyle. Does anyone know the normal lifespan of an elec. meter? Am I being unduly paranoid?

It depends on the type of meter. The modern electronic ones have a shorter life, due to having a battery inside and these batteries are generally not replaced on site but the whole meter is exchanged for a new one. The older mechanical types have a service life of at least twenty years, twice as long.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • espresso wrote: »
    It depends on the type of meter. The modern electronic ones have a shorter life, due to having a battery inside and these batteries are generally not replaced on site but the whole meter is exchanged for a new one. The older mechanical types have a service life of at least twenty years, twice as long.

Your electric (E6) meter will be exchanged for a bellows (G4) meter which is noisy, see thread National Grid Gas Meter Exchange program.I wish I had'nt had mine changed.
    JHEATON.
  • Meter Plus are part of NPower, They do all the meter changes/installation etc.
    Thomson 757 Man
  • Retired wrote: »
    I have just changed to E-on as my dual supplier. E-on Energy Services insisted on replacing the existing elec meter [which was installed when the house was built in Sep 2001] on 17th Sep. The recorded average daily consumption since then is 12.93 units compared to 9.92 units in 2006 & 7.64 units in 2007. We have gas central heating & a gas hob & have not added any electrical appliances or changed our lifestyle. Does anyone know the normal lifespan of an elec. meter? Am I being unduly paranoid?

No, Why do they have to change the meter, It doesn't matter who supplys you the meter works the same?

Probably an excuse to make more money?
    Thomson 757 Man
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family