Child with Type 1 Diabetes

2»

Comments

• she73
    she73 Posts: 205 Forumite
    My husband has been injecting since he was 8 hes now 42 and hes never got anything for type 1 diabetes hes never seen it as a disibility and has worked his whole life.Now that type 1 diabetes has caused a catalogue of problems including kidney failure,hes had to give up work hes in and out of hospital and has recently spent 7 months there and still he cant get dla ,even though he cant walk because of other problems so good luck trying but believe me its hard to get.
  • Ettenna
    Ettenna Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/161852393869671/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/228837803846726/

If you've got Facebook look at these groups. The second one is for parents of teenagers and may be more relevant. The information is invaluable. Some of the parents on there have had some experience of DLA. You can ask all sorts of questions and not feel stupid :)

My daughter is T1 (diagnosed at 17, now nearly 19 and on HDU after a car accident). We haven't even bothered to claim even though she did not have good control through no fault of her own (before her accident).
  • Poor control wont neccessarily mean you qualify for DLA. Ive been Type 1 for 30 years with brittle diabetes and my claim for DLA is on other problems. Unless the effects of poor control meet the criteria you wont get anywhere.
  • Even if it was 'uncontrollable' Type 1, it would NOT be accepted for a DLA claim for someone who is nearly 16 (adult for DLA purposes)

For someone who is much much younger it could well be accepted.

Type 1 is more of a nuisance than a disability in adults.

However some complications of Diabetes could well be good enough to qualify for DLA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure