Halfords Number Plates

Comments

• scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you don't need the plate(s) the same day you can get them online for a lot less than halfords
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    scbk wrote: »
    If you don't need the plate(s) the same day you can get them online for a lot less than halfords

I would not bother with online number plate manufacturers. I recently had some made up with an online trader and the quality was terrible. At least with Halords or a Motor Factors you can have a refund if you are not happy with the quality.
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Please bear in mind that if your car was built after 2001 then you MUSt have the plate manufacturers details and BS number on the plate.

Many of the online ones are sold for show use only and are not road legal on newer cars. PC Plod can do you for it if he's in the mood and you've failed the attitude test.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Both my plates are badly discoloured, but the car has passed 2 mot's like it.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    atrixblue.-MFR-. Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2010 at 2:59AM
    driving liscence/passport and v5 is required to purchase a number plate, the system at my old works place (motor factors) wouldnt allow us to print the number plate without the name/address/v5 number. as long as our/their best plate registration number was printed in the bottom right hand courner we didnt need to put the company name on the plates but i do understand that legislation on this changed since 2006.

i would be warry on buying online plates especially if they dont require the above info in wich case i wouldnt online it is illegal for them to supply a plate without the above info for road use. and i wouldnt give my V5/reg/name/licence info over the net, its all to easy to be a victim of vehicle ID theft.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2010 at 3:19PM
    I've been buying GB number plates on eBay from "djh_numberplates" for £7.40 a pair.

They're better quality than the ones I paid £25 from a motor factors for. Also better quality than the dealer supplied ones on my car which are wearing after being on the car for about a month!

Don't pay Halfords ridiculous prices imo.

They didn't ask for any documentation (hmmmm :rotfl:) but the plates are to 100% road legal specification with the BSAU marking and the name and postcode of the supplier along the bottom...
  • Kilty wrote: »
    I've been buying GB number plates on eBay from "djh_numberplates" for £7.40 a pair.

They're better quality than the ones I paid £25 from a motor factors for. Also better quality than the dealer supplied ones on my car which are wearing after being on the car for about a month!

Don't pay Halfords ridiculous prices imo.

They didn't ask for any documentation (hmmmm :rotfl:) but the plates are to 100% road legal specification with the BSAU marking and the name and postcode of the supplier along the bottom...

if a motor factors charged you 25.00 for a single plate you were ripped (unless it was a fancy plate)they retail at £10.00 each so if ou were charged at £25.00 the pair then thats about the money when you ad vat on to it.
    if reported to tradeing standards djh_numberplates could be subject to investigation as they are selling illegaly as per not to request documentation. also as i stated i would not provide sensitive documantation numbers and personal data over the net especially not ebay.
  • Kilty_2
    edited 13 February 2010 at 4:05PM
    if a motor factors charged you 25.00 for a single plate you were ripped (unless it was a fancy plate)they retail at £10.00 each so if ou were charged at £25.00 the pair then thats about the money when you ad vat on to it.

I was pretty happy at the time paying that for a set (with a black border and GB logo) although they weren't fantastic quality.
    if reported to tradeing standards djh_numberplates could be subject to investigation as they are selling illegaly as per not to request documentation. also as i stated i would not provide sensitive documantation numbers and personal data over the net especially not ebay.

My registration number is hardly sensitive information - anyone can obtain a lot more information about my car seeing it outside my house than they'll get over the Internet. I do agree though - those online retailers who do request documents I'd not touch - it's too easy for such items to go missing

I agree they're not operating within the regulations but it's hardly a concern of mine.

Until number plates are supplied like road tax by a government agency (possibly including 3rd party insurance cover...) then car cloning will continue to be a problem because there will be companies out there that will happily make up plates without asking for documentation.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    i

They are not the only sellers on eBay selling road legal number plates, I guess the fact that the buyer can be traced must satisfy their requirements, without the need for documentation.
  • Kilty_2
    Inactive wrote: »
    They are not the only sellers on eBay selling road legal number plates, I guess the fact that the buyer can be traced must satisfy their requirements, without the need for documentation.

Yeah I forgot to mention this - there are loads of such sellers. I just mentioned DJH because I can personally recommend them having bought a few sets - same day dispatch for next day delivery etc. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure