Parking near Natural History Museum/Harrods

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jebervic wrote: »
    park right outside it on a saturday, I know I did a couple of years ago.

that entire road has been dug up ,theres road works from one end to the other. get there early if you can the queues last friday were horrendus !
  • KellyWelly
    KellyWelly Posts: 420 Forumite
    If you have a disabled parking badge you can park right outside the NHM, but I did see somebody clamped there today who had parked without one so don't chance it if you haven't. I think your only option unless you want to pay £££ and spend HOURS in traffic is park somewhere further out on the Central/District/Picadilly lines where you can park more cheaply or for free and get the tube in. South Kensington is the best station, I think.
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    vikingaero wrote: »
    That's correct. Imperial College open their car park (entrance in between the NHM & Science Museum) at weekends and charge £8 all day.

Sorry to hop in on the thread, but does anyone know if this carpark fills up really early?

Would be a great place to park and would save getting the train/bus into London. However, unless we get the kids up a the crack of dawn the earliest we could get there is by 9.30ish. Is it normally full by then?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

M_o_3
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mum_of_3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hop in on the thread, but does anyone know if this carpark fills up really early?

Would be a great place to park and would save getting the train/bus into London. However, unless we get the kids up a the crack of dawn the earliest we could get there is by 9.30ish. Is it normally full by then?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

M_o_3

9.30 will be fine. I arrived around 11am and the car park was full.
    The man without a signature.
  • www.tfl.gov.uk will tell you which tube stations have car parks. We park at Greenford which is very easy for us just off the M40. It costs £1 per day on Sat and Sun and then a tube pass is about £6 but is less for children. We do not have to drive into the city and get lost and when we get off the tube at the end of the day its 10 mins on to the motorway. the tube pass covers unlimited travel in the city
  • KellyWelly
    KellyWelly Posts: 420 Forumite
    Children travel for free on tubes and buses in London.
  • I for one hate having to pay to park so are always on the hunt for free spots, and we found one literally about 2 minutes walk from Harrods - couldnt believe it...

If you go up at a weekend you can usually park on the metered slots as they often dont charge on a sunday around Harrods
  • ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Blue badge holders do not have same rights in central london as elswhere in country, this link takes you to Westminster info http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/transportandstreets/parking/disabledparking/bluebadgescheme/ and note that even disabled I believe that you must apply in advance for exemption from congestion charge and this itself costs £10. Hope I have this info correct
  • xfive71
    xfive71 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Watch out when parking near Harrods. Depending on where you are - you could be under Westminster borough or Kensington & Chelsea. On sundays, it is usually free parking but do check the boards.

The area around South Kensington (Onslow Gardens thereabouts) usually have free parking on Sundays. it is about a 5-10 minute walk to the NHM past South Kensington tube station.

On the way, you could stop at Oddono's at Bute Street for awesome Italian Gelati. Just in front of the South Ken tube station, there is Carluccio's which is lovely for Italian (their soups are both delicious and quite filling).

If looking for budget food options, I would suggest the £1.99 sandwiches at Subway which you could takeaway for a picnic. There is a Chinese buffet type of place in the basement called Paper Tiger which you will see on your walk to NHM.

Harrods-wise, I find the food at the Planet thingy restaurant on the 4th floor for the quality.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure