Vodafone Contract - Can I get a new phone number?

I have had a Vodafone mobile contract for the last four years.

I am currently receiving abusive texts from my partner's ex husband (up to 40 per day), to the extent where he is even texting me whilst he is on holiday in Tenerife!

I ignore the vast majority of them, however it now getting to the point that I want to change my mobile phone number so I can get rid of him, as there are no options on my phone to block his calls or texts

Does anyone know if I can do this, and if there is a charge? I don't mind paying, as this would be a small price to pay for my own sanity. I've tried Vodafone without much joy so far. The woman I spoke to said I would need to report the texts to the police, and obtain a crime reference number before they would act. Is this correct?

Surely as a long time customer, I have the right to change my number? :mad:

Comments

• davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Phone the police as it is harassment. Then get back to Vodafone, threaten to leave and go to another network if need be..

• Cavey
    Cavey Posts: 299 Forumite
    You might also find that if you ask Vodafone, they can block calls and messages originating from the problem number. That doesn't prevent him from getting a free SIM, but then getting a new number doesn't prevent him from finding it out.

I guess I would still contact the police though.
    *I reserve the right to have an opinion, the right to change this opinion and the right to be wrong.*
    Hope that helps. If you find this post useful, please feel free to hit the V V V V V V 'Thanks' button below
  • anitalg
    anitalg Posts: 72 Forumite
    If you have a samsung handset you can block texts from certain numbers?
  • i called vodafone a couple of years ago about changing my phone number. They said if i'd reported the abusive calls/texts to police and got a crime reference number they would change my number for free, otherwise they would do it for £25
    hth
    Finally debt free, all thanks to this site and all the posters:j
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Most (I assume all should have) phone providers have a malicious calls department, you may as redsquarelady says have to get an official crime refernce first, but they will issue a new number to you.

So to sum up yes you can change your number for free if you report it first or just pay to change it mobile providers charge between £10-£25 for this service - there is work for them and imgine if they just let people randomly change number for free whenever they wanted!.

If you're out of contract then you could just easily get a new contract/phone/number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure