Wireless USB dongle for SKY BB - what to get

As per title, which is the best (& cheapest!) USB adaptor to use for wireless broadband with the SKY Netgear wireless router? Is it best to phone up sky and order one, or can the same one be had for less elsewhere?

Also, do they work fine for most people plugged directly into a USB socket on the back of the PC, or is a USB extension lead worth getting so I can get a better signal position?

TIA

Comments

• RichPyke
    RichPyke Posts: 126 Forumite
    Any will work
    Cheap will not be as good as the pricey ones, you'll end up buying 2 or 3 cheap ones before you realise, therefore costing more than the pricey one.
    Plug it in and away you go. They should be fine plugged straight in.

I guess sky will charge over the odds for their kit, get a price but check it against PC World and ebuyer.
    Rich
  • NickMidgley
    NickMidgley Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    Pretty well any dongle should work. If you want to stick with Netgear (which ain't too bad an idea as they're generally one of the best) the WG111 adapter can be had for about £15 or so if you hunt around. I don't know how much Sky would charge you, but there's a pretty decent chance it will be more. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

The WG111 has an extension cable included, and it's definitely a good idea to use one. It will probably help with reception and will also reduce the chances of the dongle or your usb socket being damaged if your PC gets shoved about a bit.
  • giger
    giger Posts: 164
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. I had no idea most would be compatible. Sky sell the netgear one (that model number rings a bell) for around £20. I have heard sky can be difficult shall we say if you have problems with broadband and they find out you are not using SKY recommended kit.

I'll do a google on the model number and see what comes up. I would be tempted to go with the sky option if there is very little difference cost wise. Main thing is I wanted to make sure it was all compatible and had the best speed/reception.
  • RichPyke
    RichPyke Posts: 126 Forumite
    Basically, any will work with any other.
    Some have higher speeds but they are all backwards compatable so don't worry about that.

Personally, I wouldn't use netgear, they have never been reliable for me however that may be to do with the location of my router and PCs. They have a good name so they can't be all bad I guess (but having the router moved all around my house, changing it 3 or 4 times then getting a buffalo one which works perfectly where the original router was makes me think netgear aren't too great).

Get a price from Sky for the dongle and find out what model no. it is. Google it, ebay it, check PC world, currys, comet, ebuyer, etc etc. and see if you can get the same cheaper elsewhere, Sky wont have any beef if you are using the same kit but didnt buy from them, how can they?
    Rich
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    giger wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I had no idea most would be compatible. Sky sell the netgear one (that model number rings a bell) for around £20. I have heard sky can be difficult shall we say if you have problems with broadband and they find out you are not using SKY recommended kit.

I'll do a google on the model number and see what comes up. I would be tempted to go with the sky option if there is very little difference cost wise. Main thing is I wanted to make sure it was all compatible and had the best speed/reception.

The one from Sky is WG111T and will cost you £25 plus £3.50 p&p, you are right you will not get much help from Sky if you do not purchase an adapter from them, they will tell you to contact the manufacturers of the adapter if you cannot connect wirelessly
  • NickMidgley
    NickMidgley Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    The WG111T is the 108mbps "Super G" equivalent of the WG111. £28.50 delivered isn't the cheapest, but it's not way overpriced either.

Whether you need the "T" model depends on the router model that Sky have supplied. Is it the DG834GT?
  • giger
    Forumite
    Hi, the sky router is the GT model so i'll take the extra speed if I can get it! Now I know the exact model a quick google reveals it is no cheaper at either Amazon or e-buyer. Dabs is a few pence less and it is also more money from play.com too.

It would appear that a lot of ppl complain that it runs too hot and can randomly disconnect. This seems a bit worrying!
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    The faster adapter won't speed your internet connection up.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • giger
    Forumite
    No but I understand it will give me a higher data transfer rate between router and PC which I assume would be better for online gaming? I've just ordered it from play now as it was 50p more but there customer service is far better than sky!

Thanks for all your help
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Not really, the limiting factor will be the net speed.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport